New Folk Implosion Emotional, Formulaic

three stars

As a great singer/songwriter, Lou Barlow should need no introduction. Unfortunately, he does, because great singer/songwriters are often unknown singer/songwriters.

As one of the founding members of the now defunct but legendary band Dinosaur Jr., Barlow channels most of his musical energy into Sebadoh, a band he fronts with Jason Loewenstein and Bob Fay.

Sebadoh's reputation and tenure as alternative rockers -- they've been producing music since the late eighties -- make anything associated with the band, even indirectly, noteworthy. Of Barlow's three side projects, Folk Implosion is the most recognizable and in some circles, more well known than Sebadoh.

Finding his most commercial success with the 1995 offbeat, ultra mellow chant banter of Folk Implosion's "Natural One," Barlow is back with yet another Folk Implosion album to add to the repertoire. Cleverly avoiding releasing a self-titled cd, The New Folk Implosion doesn't stray far from the not-so-folk but close-enough-to-still-be-called-folk formula.

On The New Folk Implosion Barlow and company refrain from excessive instrumental experimentation and toss up nine simple-as-buckwheat flapjack tracks with little to no syrup. Folk apples don't fall too far from the tree and for this reason, those who enjoyed the old Folk Implosion will most definitely enjoy the continuation of revealing music on The New Folk Implosion.

Composing humble and emotionally sedative ballads, Barlow is obviously the pacifying mediator of Sebadoh. Sebadoh albums tend to be peppy, charged with independent rock, kinetic friction and usually quite a bit noisier than Barlow's solo creations.

Folk Implosion especially shows Barlow's less gregarious side and the music is gray and subtle yet fluid and compelling. There's seldom any jagged edges or hard to swallow moments with Folk Implosion.

Despite constant line-up changes and the departure of founding folk imploder John Davis, the band's trademark sound is tranquil, melodramatic, and charmingly monotone. It's covertly fuzzy and rocks out behind the scenes.

Songs on The New Folk Implosion like "Fuse" set up an emotional and mesmerizing precedent. "Leaving it up to me" sets up a mantra-driven track of slow, churning fusion. The album's fourth track "Pearl" is a common acoustic ode to a woman about what lies beneath the impenetrable exoskeleton of men -- soft, pulpy, lovable interior, a Care Bear in a bullet proof vest.

The New Folk Implosion is a microcosm of the mind of Lou Barlow and the only weak element is not in the album but in the band itself. These musicians write great songs that don't deviate from one another. Band members have perfected their method and are sticking to it, and Folk Implosion is not a risk-taking band.

Instead, it wears a leash, one that keeps it from straying far from home. Despite the overall similarity of the songs, each track is an individual unit that is hauntingly and mysteriously attractive.

Kind of like Kate Moss with one really buff arm.

If they wanted to, with the help of a DJ, every track could bleed into the next creating melodious tantric serenity that would put "In-a-Gada-da-Vida" to shame.

The New Folk Implosion is best enjoyed with candles and incense.