Sports in Brief

Lobos win 2 against Utes

The Lobo baseball team went 2-3 over spring break, dropping two games No. 20 Arizona and winning two of a three-game series with the Utah Utes.

Shortstop Dusty Young continued his hot hitting, extending his hitting streak to 26 games. UNM ace James Vermilyea picked up the Lobos' first win against the Utes, going the distance and giving up eight hits in the 12-2 pummeling.

The Lobos are 18-10 overall and 6-2 in the MWC.

Women struggle at SDSU

UNM lost its opening Mountain West Conference matches this weekend to No. 30 San Diego State and No. 33 UNLV.

Sandy Lukowski moved up to the No. 1 singles position for the matches and lost two hard fought three set matches.

Tjasa Suvak was able to earn a singles win against the Aztecs and the Lobos also won the doubles point against SDSU. Lukowski and freshman Maja Kovacek teamed up for a win, as did Rachel Hatley and Maria Ruiz-Fabrega.

Against the Rebels, Michelle Heidbrink and Tiffany Robertson were able to garner singles victories for UNM, and the Lobos again earned the doubles point with a sweep of the doubles matches.

NMSU drops to Lobo men

The Lobos conquered intrastate rival NMSU despite being hampered by some nagging injuries.

UNM swept the doubles matches to take that point. In singles, the Aggies fought hard but could not overcome the tenacity of Divan Coetzee, Bart Scott and Jasmin Hodzic. Scott won 6-1, 6-2 over Ben Archer-Howles in his first match since sustaining a knee injury two weeks ago.

The win pushes the Lobos record to 7-4 on the year.

UNM dominates contest

Senior Keren Sari-Bentzur blew away the field in the heptathlon at the Don Kirby Invitational this weekend. Sari-Bentzur won five out of the seven events for 5,170 points.

On the men's side, Ryan Voge finished second in the decathlon while Adam Fangos and Robert Gunn finished fourth and fifth respectively.

All of Saturday's events were canceled due to poor traveling conditions.

Softball keeps improving

The Lobos finished off Spring Break on a good note Sunday. UNM beat NMSU 8-0 in the final day of the New Mexico State Invitational. Kelly Glass led the UNM offensive attack going 3-4 at the plate. Amy Dumas was stellar from the mound pitching a complete-game three hitter while striking out seven. The Lobos improved to 12-22-1 overall and finished the tournament 3-2.

Poor golf etiquette leads to fight on UNM golf course over Spring Break

A lack of course courtesy led to a heated exchange that turned into a violent confrontation between two golfers playing at the UNM North Golf Course March 13.

The confrontation reportedly began when a golfer shanked a shot very close to two other golfers taking their second strokes on the sixth hole.

The two golfers reportedly told the other golfer to yell 'fore' next time he hit a shot close to other golfers -- that's when the altercation began.

One of the two men cited in the fight said the golfer who shanked the shot approached him and after a brief verbal confrontation, began throwing punches.

Then the two men began wrestling on the fairway.

According to the UNM police report, a witness to the fight said the man who shanked the shot then pulled a club from his bag and began swinging it at the other golfer.

The golfer said he suffered a minor cut in the fight.

The injured golfer said the other man then went to the clubhouse where he phoned police who cited both for public affray, a misdemeanor.