Lobos seek to shine at home

The UNM softball team kicks off a nine-game home stand this weekend when it welcomes Colorado State University to Lobo Field after playing 37 of its first 41 games on the road.

The Lobos have been road warriors so far this season with a schedule that looks more like that of a 1920s barnstorming team than a college ball club.

UNM, 16-24-1 overall and 1-3 in the Mountain West Conference, has had a trying season thus far. The Lobos started the year 3-11 and have endured a pair of four-game losing streaks. However, considering the daunting away schedule, it could be worse.

UNM did not let the early season woes sink its proverbial ship and it has shown some renewed life recently. The Lobos split a series with UNLV last week and could easily have swept the two games had they not blown a 3-2 10th inning lead in the opener. UNM has won six of its last 10 games including three wins against instate rival New Mexico State University.

Head coach Kim Newbern said that the travelling has been physically draining on the team but that during the process the Lobos have learned how to play on the road, becoming tougher as a group. She also said that it would be nice to finally come home and show the UNM fans what the softball team is all about.

Leading the Lobos on the mound has been junior pitcher Amy Dumas. Posting a 10-10 record this year, Dumas has pitched several magnificent games including four one-hitters and two two-hitters.

"She's a really determined pitcher and that gets me fired up," junior catcher Kim Korsak said of Dumas.

Dumas has carried most of the pitching load but has also gotten help from freshman fireballer Iraina Ogas who serves as the second pitcher on the staff.

"I just try to hit my spots, make the ball move and do what I can out there," Ogas said.

Ogas has also been an asset at the plate posting a team-high .325 batting average with runners in scoring position and six multi-RBI games.

Perhaps the strongest batter in the Lobo lineup has been freshman shortstop Ashley VanBoxmeer who leads the team with a .361 average and eight home runs.

"She can change the pace of a game with a swing of the bat just like that because she can put it out pretty quickly," Newbern said. "She's got her confidence back at the plate and I think that's contagious for the whole team."

UNM has been productive at the plate, leading the MWC in hits (266) and total bases (352), and is second in slugging percentage (.342), RBI (111) and stolen bases (32).

The first pitch gets underway at noon on Saturday. The teams will play a double header, with the second game starting at about 2 p.m. With two victories this weekend, the Lobos could jump considerably in the MWC standings. They are currently tied for last place with CSU (20-9, 1-3 MWC).

"The most important thing is that we win at home and all of the other stuff will take care of itself," Newbern said. "We have to come out with a lot of enthusiasm and take it to them."