Glass readies for last Lobo game

Senior center fielder Kelly Glass will play her final home games in a Lobo uniform this weekend when the Lobos conclude their home schedule with doubleheaders against San Diego State University and UNLV.

Glass has started every game in her four-year career and has been a solid presence in the field and at the plate throughout.

Last year, she led the team in hitting with a .356 average and stolen bases with 21 in 24 attempts.

The Las Vegas, Nev., native is only three steals from breaking the all-time UNM career record of 88 stolen bases.

This year, Glass has been a leader once again. She is second on the team with a .335 average, only freshman Ashley VanBoxmeer has a higher average at .353. Glass is also the team and conference leader in hits with 62. Glass has been rock solid in the field, committing only two errors on the season for a .971 fielding percentage.

The Lobos will look to improve on their 4-12 Mountain West Conference record when they welcome UNLV (4-12 MWC) to Lobo Field on Friday. UNM split a two-game series with the Rebels earlier this year.

UNLV is coming off a split with SDSU last weekend in which it handed the Aztecs their first conference loss of the year.

Offensively, the Rebels are led by Lisa Moses, who is hitting .285 with 14 RBIs. Third baseman Pauline Glenn paces the team in home runs and RBIs with five and 20, respectively.

On the hill, Jacqueline Kerrigan has been effective posting a 15-10 record with a 1.75 ERA. Kerrigan leads the MWC in wins on the season. She is also coming off a 3-0 shutout of SDSU, which earned her the MWC Pitcher of the Week award.

After a two game set with the Rebels on Friday, the Lobos play host to league-leading San Diego State Sunday.

UNM lost both of its earlier meetings with the Aztecs but, managed to keep it close on both occasions. Before a stunning loss to the Rebels last weekend, SDSU had been perfect in the MWC. The Aztecs rank first in the conference in team ERA (1.01) and fielding percentage (.975) and are third in team batting average (.286).

On the hill, sophomore Bre DeSanta has been magnificent for SDSU, achieving her numbers from 2002 that earned her MWC Pitcher of the Year honors. She has a 15-4 record on the year, which includes two no-hitters against St. Johns and Nevada. DeSanta is 15-0 all-time against conference opponents.

For the Lobos to be successful this weekend, they will need to get production from their lineup and play well defensively giving their pitchers a chance.

Amy Dumas has been a workhorse on the mound for UNM. The junior hurler leads the team with a 2.40 ERA while pitching 181 innings. She also leads in strikeouts with 163 and starts (32).

Offensively, VanBoxmeer has been the heart and soul of the team. She leads the squad in almost every offensive category including home runs (10), doubles (13) and RBIs (32).

Freshman Iraina Ogas has been another offensive threat for UNM while driving in 29 runs and hitting six homers.

With a good performance this weekend, the Lobos could move out of the MWC cellar and have an outside chance of catching fourth-place Utah (6-8 MWC).

Friday's doubleheader against UNLV gets underway a 1 p.m. with the second game starting at 3 p.m.

Sunday's doubleheader with SDSU also starts at 1 p.m. and will be followed by the second game. All games will take place at Lobo Field.