Baskett eager to contribute

Sophomore receiver back from season ending injury

At 6 feet 4 inches tall and 220 pounds, sophomore Hank Baskett III is the biggest receiver on the Lobo football team, which is loaded with senior leadership at that position.

"He's got great size and ultimately he will be a leader," offensive coordinator Dan Dodd said.

Baskett was a highly-touted recruit coming out of high school because of his size and athletic ability that earned him a state record in the high jump in 2000 at Clovis High.

However, Baskett suffered a major setback last fall when he sustained a neck injury during a preseason practice. He was carried off the field and taken to the hospital where doctors told him that he might never be able to play sports again - something that didn't bode well with Baskett.

"I didn't say anything for awhile," Baskett said of the injury. "My mom thought I went into shock. I told them (the doctors) that it's not over yet. I told them that I would play again."

Spinal injuries are considered some of the most dangerous in sports and often it is a matter of overcoming the fear to go out and play at 100 percent again. Assistant coach Dan Dodd said that he has not noticed any lack of confidence from Baskett.

"I know he's over the hump physically," Dodd said. "The thing you worry about with neck injuries is how they're going to come through it mentally and I think he's fine."

A year later, Baskett is ready to move on and contribute to a wide receiver core that boasts five seniors. The sophomore knows that he is not at the top of the depth chart yet but he is willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win whether that means playing special teams or going out and catching a crucial 5-yard pass.

"If you can't accept playing on special teams before moving all the way up, then you're not ready to be a team football player," Baskett said.

With two-year starter Dwight Counter ahead of Baskett at the same position, the sophomore most likely will see limited playing time. That doesn't bother Baskett though because he understands that waiting your turn to play is something that comes with the territory in big-time college football. In fact, Baskett said he relishes the opportunity to learn under the guidance of such a renowned offensive threat like Counter.

Although this Terrell Owens-sized receiver has had limited playing time, especially at the receiver position, he does have a knack for the dramatic. In one of the most exciting games of the season last year, Baskett emerged as a big-time player when he caught two passes against Utah State late in the game - both were crucial touchdowns. On the plays, Baskett slotted in the tight end spot and quickly broke away into the end zone where he caught wide open passes.

With his size advantage, Baskett may be used in similar goal line situations where he could go up and over the defense on a lob pass.

"I like to get physical," Baskett said. "I like to go for the jump ball and use my size to get defenders off of me."

Baskett sees himself as a possession receiver that can haul in catches when the team needs it. But don't expect him to only look for the short pass because he can also break tackles with his strength and size.

Besides being the biggest receiver on the team, Baskett also has the distinction of having some of the longest and sometimes wildest hairstyles that only make him stand out even more. He said that it would take something very special for him to consider cutting the hairdo - like a chance to play in the Liberty Bowl.