Arndt makes a comeback

For one half, it looked like a re-energized Lindsey Arndt would make all the difference against the 25th-ranked Utah Utes.

Then, as should have been expected, Utah clawed back behind Mountain West Conference star Kim Smith and the Lobos had to draw on every ounce of team effort to stave off a comeback from the league-leading Utes.

Arndt redeemed herself Thursday for a poor showing at Utah on Jan. 25 where she scored zero points. It was a different story at The Pit as Arndt recorded a double-double with 12 points, 12 rebounds and two blocks. She was everywhere for UNM in the first half, banging down low in the paint, hustling to loose balls, driving to the basket and playing stifling defense on Smith.

Arndt said she definitely wanted to improve her performance after her abysmal showing in Salt Lake City.

"When you play that bad, you want to come back and play well," she said. "Everything was just clicking tonight."

Utah head coach Elaine Elliot said Arndt was the difference in the first half, which saw the Lobos hold Utah scoreless for almost 10 minutes before the break.

"She had a great first half," Elliot said. "She was the most energized player on the floor."

In the second half, it was the Utes' turn to come out energized. Smith led Utah back from a 25-14 deficit with nine second-half points to tie the game at 44 with 2:45 left.

"It seemed for a time they hit every 3-pointer they took," Lobo head coach Don Flanagan said.

As good a first half as Arndt had, she failed to score in the second as the Utes collapsed their defense on her in the post with double teams. It gave the other Lobos the perfect chance to step up and hit big shots necessary to hold off Utah's furious comeback. Freshman guard Fatima Maddox finished with only two points but she kept the Utes' defense off balance with her quick drives to the basket.

Melissa Forest also chipped in with some key shots down the stretch and sophomore guard Mandi Moore was her usual steady self, directing traffic and playing tough defense. Forest finished with seven and Moore had a quiet nine.

"I thought we could have beat them over there," Moore said. "Tonight, we played with poise. We played with confidence."

The biggest confidence boost UNM may have received in Thursday's win was Abbie Letz' return to form. Letz finished with 11 points in 22 minutes, and hit the biggest shot of the game. In the midst of Utah's comeback with the score knotted at 44, Letz nailed a long-range bomb that put UNM up by three.

"My shot feels a lot better in the last couple of weeks of practice," Letz said.

The Lobos (15-7, 7-2 MWC) now find themselves in good position - second place behind the Utes (19-4, 9-1). But Arndt said UNM will be ready after Thursday's big win.

Flanagan agreed.

"There won't be a let down," he said. "I won't let them."