Black History Month highlighted by poetry

In honor of National Black History Month, the Center for African American Student Services and the Black Student Union have organized a month full of events that they hope will build a sense of community.

Although February is almost gone, the events are still coming strong. The lineup for the later part of the month begins tonight with a poetry and art show at 7 p.m. in the AASS offices on the first floor of Mesa Vista Hall.

The show is open to all UNM students and members of the Albuquerque community who are interested in showcasing their talents in any form. There will also be a discussion section in which questions regarding African-American history and creative expression will be addressed.

From Feb.19-22, the Big XII Conference will be held at Kansas State University. During the conference, 12 nationwide schools come together in order to discuss how each individual university is progressing with its African-American student population.

The conference will also offer workshops such as a gospel extravaganza and a step show. It is open to any UNM student who has $115 for travel expenses and can meet today's deadline.

The center is also host to movie nights that take place every Friday at 7 p.m. in the

AASS offices. These movies are open to anyone and are free to students.

Next Tuesday, ASUNM in coordination with the BSU are sponsoring an Open Mic Night with special guest B-Phlat, a comedian who often performs on BET's "Comic View." The event, which will take place at 6:30 in SUB Ballroom C, will feature a wide array of local talent and is free to all UNM students.

Finally, AASS is organizing the first Annual Mr. and Ms. Black UNM, a semi-formal event that will take place at 7 p.m. on March 6 in the Sandia Room at the SUB. The pageant-type affair will recognize a female and male student each for her or his outstanding academic achievements as well as extracurricular and community involvement.

Winners will be chosen by a panel of six UNM faculty members. Although the deadline has passed to apply as a candidate, there is still plenty of time to purchase tickets to the event.

UNM sophomore Antoinette Murphy, a candidate for Ms. Black UNM and a member of the BSU, has helped organize many of the events that are being offered by AASS. Murphy says that her involvement in student organizations such as these has helped her develop a sense of "self-esteem and self-confidence."

According to Murphy, "Being a minority at UNM and not having a lot of African-Americans here, you feel a little left out or sheltered to where you can't express yourself fully. In having the center (African American Student Services), I believe you find a lot of people you can relate to. Therefore, you become involved. That just builds a stronger community, which makes you stronger."

Murphy also spoke about the importance of having on-campus sites for minorities to hang out at.

"We just need that exact place where we can just come together and communicate because all of us - whether we're Native American, or Hispanic, or African - we all try to celebrate being together," Murphy said.

For more information regarding any of these events, call the Center for African American Student Services at 277-5645 or visit their office on the first floor of Mesa Vista Hall.

What: Poetry and Art Show

When: Tonight, 7 p.m.

Where: Center for African American Student Services

Price: Free

Ticket Info: 277-5645