UNM budget under the lens

Summit looks at tuition, compensation packages

UNM President Louis Caldera said Thursday's budget summit went a long way toward helping administrators, students, staff and faculty understand each other's financial needs.

"I'm really pleased," Caldera said. "With the great feedback we got, we will now go back to the drawing board to craft a proposal."

About 300 community members filed in and out of Rodey Theatre throughout the day to hear the viewpoints of delegates on various campus constituencies. Associated Students of UNM, Graduate and Professional Student Association, Faculty Senate, Staff Council, the Deans' Council, the Alumni Association and the UNM Foundation gave their recommendations on which proposed budget scenario their groups support for the next fiscal year.

The four scenarios vary in tuition and fee increases and staff and faculty compensation increases.

Scenario A increases tuition and fees the least, at 4.5 percent and includes a 2 percent faculty and staff compensation increase.

Scenario B would raise tuition and fees by 9 percent and give faculty and staff a 3 percent raise.

Scenario C provides staff with a 4 percent raise while increasing tuition and fees by 15 percent. It also allocates funds for a grant-writing center, teaching and graduate assistants, technology support and the hiring of distinguished faculty.

Scenario D has the highest tuition increase at 22 percent, raises faculty compensation by 5 percent, and in addition to the allocation from scenario C, provides funding for graduate assistantships, enhanced counseling and tutorial services and increased scholarship funds.

After morning presentations from officials of state and University groups involved in the budget process concluded, the floor was opened for the constituencies to voice their opinions.

ASUNM President Jennifer Onuska and Vice President Amanda Sims outlined their own plan, scenario S, which combines scenario B and C for a 12 percent increase in tuition and fees. They said they supported the faculty and staff increases and opposed bringing in distinguished faculty.

"Why bring in distinguished faculty when we are not taking care of our own current faculty?" Sims asked.

Faculty Senate President Beverly Burris said her group supports a double-digit tuition increase, favoring either scenario C or D. But she said she empathized with the students' concerns.

"We appreciate the fact that the students are supporting the compensation increase," Burris said. "What we don't want is for faculty and students to be pitted against each other."

GPSA President Aaron Kugler said his organization supports scenario C. He said a 15 percent tuition increase is a stiff increase, but the University would benefit from its effects.

Caldera said with the expected tight budget next year, the University must not rely on state funding.

"If you put yourself in our shoes, you can see why it wouldn't be realistic to go to the Legislature and say, 'here's our bills, pay them,'" Caldera said.

Despite the goodwill and support between delegates, there was some dissent among students over the proposed tuition increase.

Ben Tucker, a non-traditional student, said he opposes any tuition increase.

"Even the present rate and those proposed are going to have negative effects," Tucker said. "For those of us unable to get the Lottery Scholarship, we are no longer going to be able to afford college."