Law does not give specific requirements for flying flag

Over the course of the past week, I have seen and heard many misguided voices raised in defense of Peter Ryan Lynch, the man responsible for desecrating the flag of Mexico, an American ally. Many have chosen to ignore the facts of this case as well as the University's explanation in favor of howling at the wind in righteous indignation.

I am a man who insists on proper respect for the flag of this country, as well as the flag of our great state. As the former chairman of the College Democrats of UNM, I even extend my insistence to the flags that sit in our office for use at our events. However, there is a difference between respect and blind nationalism. The voices I have heard this past week have come from people who are willing to deride others for their views, and whose attitude of "America Uber Alles" - particularly in regard to Mexico, our closest neighbor and vital economic ally - is exactly the attitude that gives this country its current tarnished reputation. Many are the same people who would demand a constitutional amendment to ban flag desecration, as if making themselves feel patriotic is more important than actually being patriotic.

If you want to claim that you love America, then I am going to insist that you present me with more than a mere symbol. Present me with a love of free expression, a willingness to stand up for the rule of law and the moral courage to defend the rights of a person who you yourself vehemently oppose.

In his passionate self-defense published in the Daily Lobo on Wednesday, Lynch cited U.S. law in regard to proper display of the flag. Unfortunately for him, he chose to actually quote the law. The law in question is Title 36, Chapter 10, Section 174. The cited paragraphs all start, "The flag should be displayed ." Unfortunately for Lynch, nowhere does the law say, "The flag must be displayed ...." There is no legal requirement that the flag of the U.S. fly at any specific time in any specific

manner. Title 36, Chapter 10, is titled "Patriotic Customs," not "Patriotic Requirements."

I am a man who honors the flag of this country, and I will be the first to acknowledge that the improper display of the unaccompanied flag of Mexico was an egregious error on the part of the University. But no laws were broken by this institution. The only violations of law were the petty vandalism and destruction of property by Lynch.

I would not presume to label Lynch a racist. His attitude wasn't one of racial superiority. I would, however, consider him to be something far more dangerous - Lynch is a vigilante. He is a man who claims to love America, but who has so little respect for our government that he sees fit to interpret and enforce laws where, as a private citizen, he has no right.

We are a nation governed by laws, not by men, and Lynch's actions were far more disrespectful to the U.S. than the accidental display of a foreign flag.

Juan Carlos Holmes

UNM student