Basketball puts on show for fans

by Steven Fernandez

Daily Lobo

They didn't have any defenders in their faces, but Amy Beggin and Amanda Best put on a shooting clinic for fans at the Lobo Howl on Friday at The Pit.

Beggin, the point guard on the UNM women's basketball team, needed an overtime in the women's 3-point competition to knock off Best in perhaps the most exciting part of the Howl.

In an earlier round, Best hit 22 shots from beyond the arc on her way to the finals. In the last 60-second round, both drained 12 3-pointers. In the 10-second overtime, Beggin outshot Best 4-2 to win the shootout.

Beggin said it was a thrill to get back in action in front of the fans.

"It's just a lot of fun to compete against all of our players," she said. "Amanda Best and I are pretty good friends, so it was fun to go into a playoff there at the end."

Before the 3-point competition, the women's team participated in a Cherry-Silver scrimmage.

Christian Shelter led the Silver team with 11 points, but the Cherry team pulled out a 19-18 win in the final seconds. Angela Harthill led the Cherry squad with six points and two

rebounds.

Brandi Kimble, who had five points and three rebounds for the Cherry team, said the Howl was an opportunity for the players to get some action in front of fans in The Pit.

"It was great," she said. "We love the atmosphere here and all the fans coming out to support us. It pumps us up."

And even though it was a scrimmage - something the players participate in regularly in practice - Kimble said there are some things the team can take away from the Howl.

Kimble said she was happy with her team's performance.

"I think we did pretty well," she said. "We hustled, and hopefully we can continue that into the season."

During the men's session of the Howl, the Lobos competed in a dunk contest and a

Cherry-Silver scrimmage.

Darren Prentice led the Silver team to a 28-24 win with 11 points, three assists and two rebounds. Daniel Faris had eight points and six rebounds for the Cherry squad.

Prentice said the scrimmage was a fun show for the fans and helped get some of the younger players experience playing in The Pit.

"It was a good opportunity for all the fans to come out and see the team and the new style of play and the new coaching staff," he said. "You get a little bit of jitters out for the new guys. It was a chance for them to get in front of the fans at The Pit for the first time."

In the dunk competition, J.R. Giddens had one of the more impressive dunks but struggled to finish off some of his later attempts.

He said the dunk contest was exciting, but he wished he could have put on more of

a show.

"I wish I could have gave more in the dunk contest, but it is what it is," he said. "It was fun getting one down for the fans. That's what it's about."