Students Ruben Pancheco, left, and College Republicans Vice President Eric Mcinteer, hold signs during Weh’s announcement in the SUB Atrium on Tuesday. Pancheco and a handful of others said Weh’s history has shown otherwise.

Gov. candidate pledges transparency

Allen Weh announced his candidacy for governor of New Mexico at the SUB Atrium yesterday, touting his military service, family values and business sense.

“Now why am I doing this? Because I care about this state and I care about this republic we live in,” he said. “I realize the leadership experience that I’ve been afforded should be put to use in public service.”

Weh received several medals during his 38-year military career, including the Silver Star and three Purple Hearts. He is the CEO of CSI Aviation and has served on the Albuquerque Policy Advisory Board.

Weh said he finished his undergraduate degree in under three years, graduated in 1966, and then returned to the Marine Corps.

Weh met his wife, Becky, at UNM while earning his undergraduate degree. He has three children and four grandchildren, one of whom was born with autism. He said special education would be a priority during his tenure as governor.

“If I’m your governor, we’re not going to second guess our kids, we’re not going to short change our kids, especially ones with the special needs,” Weh said. “We need to be able to take care of everybody, but we certainly need to be able to take care of our children, and shame on us if we can’t.”

Weh said his work will be cut out for him as governor due to Gov. Bill Richardson’s mismanagement of funds.

“I don’t need to tell anybody here that the next governor will inherit a mess,” Weh said. “A mess that’s been aggravated by the poor judgment from the Richardson-Denish administration and a one-party political class that’s lost touch with common sense and whose first interest is holding onto political power and personal financial gain, not what’s in the best interest of the people of this state.”

Sala Chapmen was one of a handful of people who protested against Weh during his gubernatorial announcement.

Chapmen said she supports a gubernatorial candidate who has a record of transparency, such as Janice Arnold-Jones.

“She is the representative who put cameras in the state legislative office so people can see what’s really happening there,” Chapmen said.

The Daily Lobo will continue coverage of the New Mexico Gubernatorial Election, which is Nov. 2, 2010.