Seniors look to MWC after 12 season wins

It wasn’t “Fright Night” for the UNM women’s soccer team when they played UNLV on Halloween.

UNM, never scared, pulled a 2–0 win

The Lobos were led by seniors Jess Quador, Veronika Strnadova, Megan Bodenheimer and Katie McKernan. All were playing their final home games in cherry and silver. They made sure the game wasn’t close.

“They’re outstanding,” said head coach Kit Vela. “Megan didn’t get to play a minute, because of a career-ending surgery, but she was a huge leader from the sidelines. All four of them did a great job here.”

Including this game, the team has 12 season wins, surpassing last year’s total by four.

Quador, team captain, said she had mixed emotions after her final game.

“It’s sad that it’s the last game here, but I’m happy I got to play here the last few years,” Quador said. “I’m glad we won. It’s like the girls sent me off on a good note. I’m going to miss all the girls — the sisterhood I had with them. They were my family in New Mexico, since I’m from Colorado. I’m just going to miss the relationships I built over the years.”

But it turned out well for the Lobos. The team was able to snap out of its recent funk on offense, Vela said.

After an evenly matched first half, the Lobos came out of halftime ready to make a statement.

“First half, we came out a little tentative on the ball, and we didn’t pressure as much as we normally do,” Quador said. “The second half we just knew we were better than them and just had to put the ball in the back of the net.”

The team was able to capitalize early against the Rebels’ defense coming out of the half, and junior forward Rachel Fields scored the first goal.

“They had fast girls in the back, but I think we broke them down easily today,” Fields said. “We talked about it at halftime that I needed to make that run inside. I just had the right run and (Jael Fanning) gave me a perfect ball, and it was a great goal.”

Fanning had both assists of the game.

Quador said the Lobos didn’t want to let UNLV get momentum.

“We handled (UNLV) pretty well,” she said. “We knew they were going to come out really hard, because if they won they would have gone through to the tournament. We really wanted the win.”

Fields said the seniors brought the team together as the season progressed.

“They’re really good leaders and people,” she said. “I’m going to miss (Quador) being around. She was such a good leader for all of us on and off the field. Veronika works so hard every day. Same with Megan and Katie, so it’s going to be tough, but they had a great couple of years.”

The Lobos will still need that leadership, because tougher competition awaits UNM in the Mountain West Conference Tournament, which starts on Wednesday in Provo, Utah.
“Everyone’s good in the tournament,” Vela said. “Everyone’s good in our conference, and we have to play someone we’ve already played.”