Officer kills mentally ill veteran in parking lot

On Wednesday, Jan.13, Iraq war veteran Kenneth Ellis was killed in a confrontation with Albuquerque police officers. He waved a gun in the direction of police officers who surrounded him in a Northeast Heights Parking lot. Then, an APD officer shot and killed him.

Ellis was suffering from mental problems related to his experience in Iraq, Ellis’ parents told the Albuquerque Journal on Jan. 13.

Zach Mutchler, president of the Student Veterans of UNM, said there is an unfortunate lack of care available to veterans in this country, but his organization and others in the state work to find help for people in need of physical or mental health care.

Mutchler said that Military Order of the Purple Heart is one of the premier organizations working in the state to promote mental health among veterans. The MOPH is on campus today meeting with the UNM administration to discuss UNM’s response to physically and mentally wounded veterans.

“The unique aspect of the Military Order of the Purple Heart is that every single active member of that organization was combat wounded, so they’re all combat veterans, every single one of them,” he said. “A lot of guys and girls don’t want to talk to people that don’t have shared combat experience. They don’t want to talk to a psychologist that’s been reading a book for four years. They want to talk to someone who was out in combat, who knows exactly what experiences they’re going through,” he said, Mutchler said the MOPH is the first organization he refers veterans to if they need psychological help. He said they offer mentoring programs for veterans in need of emotional or psychological support.

UNM

Mutchler said the University doesn’t have any programs that offer trained medical professionals’ services specifically for veterans.

“UNM doesn’t actually have a formalized veteran-specific type program, as far as mental health counseling goes,” he said. “(But) it seems that they’re trying to get the counselors that are at UNM in Student Health and Counseling more up-to-date on PTSD and things of that nature, so they’ll be a little bit more aware of veteran problems.”

Harry Linneman, director of Counseling and Therapy Services at UNM, said if a student has or knows somebody who has psychological problems, he/she can seek help at the student health center, unless the person is in immediate danger.

“If you believe somebody has a gun in their hand, and they’re in their apartment and they’re going to kill themselves right now — don’t call me first — call the police first, then call me,” he said.

Mutchler said lack of resources in the medical system is a problem that may have contributed to Ellis’ death.

“One of the sad realities is that the helping system is overstretched right now. It isn’t always available immediately to everybody it needs to be available to,” he said. “We’re applying every year for increased funds to help improve campus safety by having more staff available, more outreach available. We are trying, in particular, to improve the connections to the VA treatment services for those students who are involved or eligible but are not using that service,” he said.
The VA hospital cannot always provide help to everyone who needs it, Mutchler said.

“It’d be nice if the government would look into ways to expand the VA coverage to where veterans could go to private practitioners and get the help they need, instead of having to go through all the red tape that they usually end up going through,” he said.

*If you or someone you know is experiencing psychological or emotional problems, the following resources on and near campus are available to help:

Student Health and Counseling Mon.- Fri. 8 a.m. -5 p.m. (Opens at 9 p.m. on Tuesdays)
(505) 277-4537

UNM Hospital: Psychiatric center
(505) 272-2800

Agora Crisis Center
(505) 277-3013 in Albuquerque or
866-HELP-1-NM outside of Albuquerque

Campus Office of Substance Abuse and Prevention
(505) 277-2795
Mesa Vista Hall

Specific to veterans:

Student Veterans of UNM
Contact Zach Mutchler, (505) 974-1080

Military Order of the Purple Heart
http://www.nmpurpleheart.org

Department of Veterans Affairs
800-827-1000*

*New Mexico Military Order of the Purple Heart presentation
Lobo Room A & B
Today
10:30 a.m.*