Tongue piercing: Not for the faint of heart

Q: Is it true that having a tongue piercing increases your chances of getting a heart rhythm problem?

A: Yes, it is true that having a tongue piercing increases your chances of getting a heart problem, but the problem isn’t with the rhythm. The risk is infection of the heart. The human mouth is full of germs, and when you put a hole in your tongue, the germs can get in the blood and go from there to your heart.

The same thing happens when you get your teeth cleaned, or have a dental procedure or mouth surgery. Germs from the mouth get into the blood, and travel throughout the body, including the heart. Most of the time the bacteria doesn’t cause a problem. The blood flows smoothly through the heart and beyond, and the germs get cleaned out by the liver and the immune system. You get up out of the dentist chair with your shiny new smile and think no more of it.

However, if you have an abnormal heart valve or other structural abnormality of the heart, that’s where the problem might come in. Imagine a sandy river bed. The water flows smoothly along the surface flat, undisturbed. Now imagine a bumpy river bed, with boulders and deadfall trees. The flow is no longer smooth. The obstacles create swirls and eddies, changes in the speed of flow, pockets of slow water.

When this happens in the flow of blood, it allows any flotsam and jetsam, so to speak, to settle out of the mainstream. Bacteria caught in an eddy will latch onto the nearest surface. This is usually that abnormal valve. Once they have found safe ground, they dig in, set up camp and multiply. This is called infective endocarditis and is a very serious predicament. It can require surgery and yes, it can kill you. People with certain structural abnormalities of the heart take antibiotics to prevent this when they have mouth surgery or other procedures.

Infective endocarditis is a rare complication of tongue piercing, but it is a serious one. See your doctor before getting a tongue piercing if you know you have a heart problem. Unfortunately, this can happen in normal hearts as well, so monitor your health carefully after any piercing.

There is nothing inherently unhealthy about piercing most body parts. Humans have been doing it for centuries. There are even stories of the ancient Mayans piercing their tongues. People of many cultures around the world decorate their bodies with piercings and/or tattoos. In the U.S., women’s earlobes were the first site to become popular for piercing. In recent years, sites chosen for piercing have expanded to both genders and just about any site you can think of. Eyebrows, nose, lips, tongue, navel, nipples, scrotum, vulva, penis, chest and back to name a few. In my job as a physician, I have seen it all.

Why do people pierce? Decoration, personal identity, rebellion, because their friends did it or because they were drunk can all be valid. It has been suggested that some people pierce to satisfy urges for self harm, and that some pierce their genitals as part of their healing process after sexual trauma, as a way of reclaiming their own bodies. Most people I’ve seen do it because they like how it looks.

Who pierces? All kinds of people get piercings. Surveys of college students indicate anywhere from 25 to 50 percent are pierced somewhere else besides their earlobes.

Should you pierce? It’s up to you, of course. I would only advise you to think about it before you do it, and do your research to minimize your risks. Talk to your pierced friends about their experiences, research the local shops, and take your time.

What are the risks?

: Piercing can be pricey. Shop around but don’t skimp on safety.

: If you do something to your body when you’re under the influence of mind-altering substances, you might regret it, whether it is piercing, tattooing or having sex with a stranger. In the same vein, I advise you to carefully consider the location of your body decoration. Don’t put a hole somewhere everyone can see unless you are okay with everyone seeing it.

Your body is yours alone. You are stuck with it and lucky to have it. Treat it with the love and respect it deserves. Decorate it as you choose with whatever captures your fancy. Just please be smart about it.