Drive safely into summer sunset

By now most of you have finished your finals and are getting ready to head for the beach, the folks’ house, or the summer job. Congratulations on getting another semester notch on your belt. Take a minute to appreciate yourself for all the hard work you have done.
But before you throw your stuff in the car and hit the road, remember that getting into a car is the most dangerous thing you can do. I’m speaking statistically. Car crashes are the No. 1 cause of death for Americans under 45. You probably know someone who has died in a car crash. Perhaps worse, you might know someone who has been permanently maimed. Brain damage, spinal cord damage, paralysis and loss of limbs are just some of the long term horrors that can result from a crash.

Buckle your seat belt and don’t drive under the influence of alcohol, drugs, sleepiness or cell phones. The advice is nothing new, but I thought you would be interested in some of the recent numbers and developments.

Seat belts
Seat belt laws are on a state-by-state basis. New Mexico has one. The CDC Center for Disease Control and Prevent did a survey and found that laws can in fact change behavior, at least a little. Here in New Mexico, 88 percent% of us say we always wear our seat belt and only 1 percent% say we never do. Compare this to the worst offender, New Hampshire, which doesn’t have a seat belt law. Only 65 percent% of residents of New Hampshire report always wearing their seat belts, and 6 percent% say they never do. Buckle up. And do it before you start driving. I know a guy who got hit as he was pulling out of his driveway and putting on his seat belt at the same time. He’s in a wheelchair.

Drunk driving
Look around you at the ten 10 closest people. Three of them will be involved in an alcohol-related crash sometime in their lives. About 12,000 people in this country are killed in alcohol alcohol-related crashes every year. That is the same number as all the UNM freshmen, sophomores and juniors combined. In 2008 there were a million and a half people arrested for DUI. T, the same number as the entire population of San Diego.

Alcohol isn’t the only drug culprit. Other drugs are killer players in every one in five driver deaths. You can guess my recommendation about driving under the influence. *
Distracted driving*
The three main types of distraction are visual (taking your eyes off the road), manual (taking your hands off the wheel) and cognitive (taking your mind off your driving task). Distraction can be deadly. In 2008 almost 6,000 people were killed in crashes involving a distracted driver. That is the same number as all the seniors at UNM.

Cell phones are the biggest distracter we have, and texting is the most dangerous phone activity because it causes all three kinds of distractions at once. Albuquerque now has a law against using cell phones while driving. The law reads, “no person shall operate a motor vehicle upon a public highway while using a mobile telephone to engage in a call or create, send or read text messages while such vehicle is in motion.” If they catch you, the fine is $100 for the first offense and, $200 for every time after that. The only exceptions are using hands-free phones and calling emergency services.

Oprah has recently come out big against using phones in cars. She is trying to get people to declare their car a “no phone zone.” If you visit her website you can watch some heartbreaking videos that might inspire you to sign the No Phone Zone Pledge. The government is doing its bit, too, with the “put it down” campaign. See Owww.oprah.com and www.dDistraction.gov for more info.

Statistics aside, you know that texting while driving is stupid and dangerous. Please stop doing it before something terrible happens.
Now that you are all buckled up, sober and phone-free, drive safely and have a great summer.

Peggy Spencer is a board-certified family physician. She has been a UNM Student Health physician for 17 years. Drop your questions into her box in the lobby of Student Health and Counseling, or e-mail her directly at pspencer@unm.edu. All questions will be considered, and all questioners will remain anonymous. This column has general health information only and cannot replace a visit to a health provider.