Willy J and the Storytellers’ members, from left, Willy Jacobson, Calum Murray, Alex Bencoe and Robson Guy. Their CD release party is on Friday at Low Spirits.

Willy J and the Storytellers gel well

Expressing oneself with words is one thing. Expressing yourself on the drums or guitar is another.

Even though Alex Bencoe, the lead guitarist for the band Willy J and the Storytellers, doesn’t sing, he said he has found a way to express himself through his instrument and performing with his band, which releases its first CD on May 7.

“We can’t put words to how we feel,” he said. “As far as emotion and feeling, we can give that with our instruments as much as we want.”
Willy J plays the guitar and lead vocalist, Robson Guy plays bass and Calum Murray plays drums. The band has been together for about a year and a half.

“I was in a band in Tennessee for three years, The Billings Band, and I am also an artist,” Willy J said. “The art scene in Tennessee isn’t that good, so I moved to Albuquerque where the art scene is really awesome. Alex is my cousin, so he jumped in a couple of solo shows with me. He was friends with Calum and Robson was available at the time. We gelled really well.”

Willy J said he grew up listening to bands like Pearl Jam and Paul Simon. He said he was influenced by folk and rock and he feeds off of the crowd’s energy during live shows.

“It is really exhilarating,” he said. “It’s kind of electric. When we get a song from zero to completion, it is incredible. It’s like we made a piece of art. We share it together. It’s a team feeling.”

Bencoe said the most enjoyable experience as a band has been the group’s tour in Colorado.

“A great thing is that we’ve been getting a lot of people coming up to us after parties telling us how much they enjoy our music,”
Bencoe said. “I think the future holds a reward in my eyes because I see something good happening.”

Julie Arkills, a freshman from UNM, enjoyed Willy J and the Storytellers’ performance on Johnson Field for the sixth annual Spring Slam Volleyball Tournament on April 30.

“I really enjoy indie rock sort of music,” Arkills said. “It was definitely my kind of sound. I especially enjoyed hearing them live. I would go see them again.”

Willy J and the Storytellers describe their music as mainstream. It is a driving sound but isn’t just screaming music, Willy J said. You can hear the words spoken much like indie rock.

“Music is like any other art form,” Willy J said. “It is an expression. When you can release what you are feeling inside and other people can identify with it, it is the most rewarding thing about it. It’s special when people can relate to your music.”

*Willy J and the Storytellers
“Chopping Trees” CD Release Party
Low Spirits
2823 2nd Street N.W.
9 p.m.
Friday
$3*