Albuquerque festival not just for old folks

Folksy fun is returning to the Duke City for the 12th time in the form of The Albuquerque Folk Festival.

The lineup offers activities for the young and old.

Gary Libman, the festival co-director, said the gathering gives fans and musicians an avenue to express themselves artistically and musically.

“It is a great way for people to get involved,” he said. “It allows people to bring their craft, songs, dance, music, and art to share.”
The festival will have a main stage with some celebrities including Bayou Seco, Blue Canyon Boys, Fishtank Ensemble, Los Primos, Robin and Linda Williams and Their Fine Group, and Wagogo,. Several smaller stages will also offer with local talent.

“We found all the main stage artists through their agents,” Libman said. “We know the music community of Albuquerque pretty well, and because of that we get to know a lot of people. We are all connected. Most of the local artists are involved because we asked them to offer their talent for free.”

The Festival will have workshops all day for the jaw harp, ukulele, autoharp and tin whistle. Experts will also demonstrate the art of quilting.

“People will just have an enjoyable time,” Libman said. “Bring old instruments and participate. This festival is critical in this day in age. It is time for people to go and relax a little bit. It forces people to be motivated to enjoy their lives beyond their work schedule. We need to keep folk traditions alive.”

Libman said the event doesn’t turn a profit, and the money goes strictly to putting on the festival. Any leftover money goes toward next year’s festivities.

Erika Gerety, a co-director with Libman, has been involved in the festival for 10 years, but she has been director for four years.

In recent years, Gerety said festival organizers have made an effort to make the event more enjoyable for everyone.

“We have some new things going on this year at the festival. There will be a talent show for kids. There are also more dances this year like the Greek Dance and No Borders Dance. We have a Pete Seeger Tribute sing-along on Saturday as well,” Gerety said.

These additions to the event should enhance the atmosphere of the festival, Gerety said, so she encourages people to come out.

“People need to just take a chance and try something new,” Gerety said. “If you think it is just another folk festival where you just sit and listen, you should think about it in a new way. Stretch yourself.”

*12th Annual Folk Festival *

Jun. 18, 6 p.m.-10p.m.

Jun.19, 10 a.m.-11p.m.

Expo New Mexico
300 San Pedro Drive Northeast
$25 Friday and Saturday
abqfolkfest.org