MWC opens arms

Welcome to the mountain top, Boise State.

On June 11, Boise State University became the 10th member of the Mountain West Conference.

The Broncos, who left the Western Athletic Conference (WAC), will join the MWC effective July 11, 2011.

“There is no doubt the addition of Boise State strengthens the membership of the Mountain West Conference,” Athletics Director Paul Krebs said in a statement. “Most people know about Broncos football, which has been among the nation’s best for the past decade, but they really have a strong athletics program across the board. They won the overall sports title in the Western Athletic
Conference this season and currently rank 58th in the Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup. They also have a very strong (Academic Progress Rate).”

Boise State becomes the second school to join the MWC in the last six years. This is the first time since a new institution has joined the conference since TCU was added in 2005.

UNM head football coach Mike Locksley said the addition of Boise State, a football powerhouse, bolsters the MWC’s argument for inclusion in the BCS.

“The Mountain West Conference showed its commitment to getting a BCS bid with the addition of Boise State,” Locksley said. “Boise State enhances the MWC from a football standpoint and strengthens our push for national recognition. BSU, with its two BCS bowl appearances, adds validity to an already strong conference, and we look forward to playing them on a regular basis.”