A Nebraska striker lines up the crosshairs during a free kick on Sunday against the Lobos. The Lobos shut out the Cornhuskers.

Shutout victories set winning tone

The UNM women’s soccer team started off the 2010 season in fine fashion.
After demolishing Montana 7-0 on Friday, the Lobos continued with a convincing 3-0 win against Nebraska on Sunday at the UNM Soccer Complex.
“These past two games — we have been very good at putting away our chances against some good teams,” head coach Kit Vela said.
The Lobos followed up their Friday shutout victory Sunday against Nebraska with good composure in front of the goal.
The first half against Nebraska was evenly matched, with both teams feeling each other out, until forward Stephanie Rowe chipped the keeper from 20 yards in the 39th minute.

Midfielder Rachel Fields gave the Lobos some insurance in the 64th minute by scoring from inside the box, before Jennifer Williams scored the third goal of the game.

Williams’ goal was a gift from Nebraska goalkeeper Emma Stevens, as Williams shot the ball from 40 yards out and scored in the wide-open Cornhusker net.

“In the past two games, we have had eight different players score,” Williams said. “We have had a good variety so far.”
After coming off a single season record of 13 shutouts last season, Lobo goalkeeper Kelli Cornell added another to her tally with eight saves, including a crucial save off a Nebraska free kick early in the second half.

“We have a really good goalie back there,” Fields said. “It makes everyone a lot more comfortable knowing we have her in goal.”

It also makes the Lobos comfortable knowing hardly anyone expects them to be a top-flight contender this year. UNM finished last season 13-5-3, and are currently picked to finish fifth in the Mountain West Conference. The Lobos ended last season in a tie for third place.
“We don’t really pay attention to the polls. All the coaches just vote to vote,” Vela said. “No one really knows what the other teams have in store for the season.”

Except for UNM, of course.

UNM is slated to play 11 of its regular season games away from home. But after having eight players already score 10 goals so far this season, UNM appears to have a level of depth not seen in past rosters.

“It helps a lot to have that kind of depth,” Fields said. “We have good people on and off the bench, and every person brings a different element to the team, which is helpful.”