Lobo midfielder Michael Reed is a fifth-year senior and will anchor the Lobos’ defense this year.

Super senior steps up

Fifth-year senior Michael Reed looks to end his career with the UNM men’s soccer team on a high note.

“Over these past few years, I have watched him develop into a really good player and person,” head coach Jeremy Fishbein said.
A graduate of Sandia High School, Reed was a 2005 NSCAA All-American and the New Mexico Player of the Year twice. He was also an Adidas ESP participant, an honor given to the best 150 high school seniors in the country.

After being a standout at Sandia, Reed said it was easy for him to pick UNM after Fishbein came calling.
“It is really exciting to stay at home and play in front of your home crowd every home game and play for your home University,” Reed said.
However, Reed’s career at UNM started with an injury. Reed blew out his knee early in the 2006 season. The injury led to season-crushing surgery during his freshman year.

Still recovering in 2007, Reed was only able to start one game but saw action for 17 games and received his first individual award as a Lobo when he was placed on the All-Academic Mountain Pacific Sports Federation team.

In 2008, Reed had a breakout season, starting 19 games for the Lobos in midfield. His hard work led him to receive his second All-Academic Mountain Pacific Sports Federation award and landed him on the All-MPSF honorable mention conference team.
Because of his experience and talent in 2009, Fishbein started Reed at defense for the first time in his Lobo career.
“He is a very versatile player, so he can play almost anywhere on the field,” Fishbein said.
On defense, Reed shined, playing pinpoint balls to start attacks and stopping opposing attackers to lead the Lobos to five shutouts, a number that he hopes to improve this season.

Reed scored his first career Lobo goal in a 2-1 victory over Denver last season and added three assists to his career tally.
Not only is Reed a leader on the field with his success and hard work, he is also a role model in the classroom.
Reed has earned three All-Academic Mountain Pacific Sports Federation awards.
Reed will be the only returning defensive starter for the Lobos this season after three of the starting defenders from last year graduated, placing the leadership role on his shoulders.

“The team this season has a different mentality,” Reed said. “We are a really hard working team, and we all really play for each other.”
Considered a humble player, Fishbein said Reed plays for the success of the team and his attitude and work ethic is carrying over to everyone this season.

“It is great to have a player like him on the team,” Fishbein said. “He does all the right things and works to make the team better.”