UNM cornerback Emmanuel McPherson is tackled by Utah’s special teamers. The Utes defeated the Lobos 56-14 on Saturday.

Lights dimmer after third loss

Utah Oh, and electrical problems created a lethal cocktail for the UNM football team’s third loss Saturday.
Before the start of the second half, play between the UNM football team and No. 14 Utah was suspended for 18 minutes because the east side lights were out at University Stadium. Needless to say, the lights were never on for the short-circuited Lobos on Saturday.
Spurred by a 28-point,

third-quarter output, the Utes ran away with a 56-14 victory, dropping the Lobos, who already this season have been out-scored 180-31, to 0-3 overall.

“I’m disappointed that we didn’t play as well as I hoped we would play,” UNM head football coach Mike Locksley said. “I am still very proud of this team.”

With quarterback B.R. Holbrook sidelined with an ankle injury, Brad Gruner got his first start of the season. But the Lobos’ offense quickly sputtered and looked toward freshman quarterback Tarean Austin for a spark. In the third quarter, Austin threw his first career touchdown pass an 18-yard toss to wide receiver Bryant Williams. In all, Austin tossed for 128 yards but missed a wide-open Andrew Aho on a fourth-and-two early inside the red zone in the fourth quarter.

He said he should have scampered for the first down.

“(Coach Locksley) was like, ‘I know you can make the play, so just make the play,’” Austin said. “After the fact, I probably should have ran. But when the play was going on, I thought, ‘I could probably hit it.’ But my
momentum took the ball overboard.”

Utah and UNM combined for three touchdowns in the first two minutes of the second half. UNM safety A.J. Butler scooped up a fumble by wide receiver Luke Matthews and ran 27 yards for a touchdown return.

The Lobos kept Utah at a lead of 21-7 for only a moment until Utah responded swiftly.

Terrance Cain hit Jereme Brooks for a 75-yard strike to make it 28-7 Utes. Utah scored two more touchdowns over the next three
minutes. Matt Martinez picked off Austin at the UNM’s 35-yard line and took it to the house.

The Lobos went three-and-out on their next possession, and the special teams unit, which was especially dismal last week against Texas Tech, gave up another big play.

The Utes’ Shaky Smithson broke free for a 73-yard punt return, giving the visitors a 42-7 lead with 9:48 left in the third quarter. Smithson had 223 return yards in the game.

“Shaky had another big day,” Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham said. “Shaky is a weapon for us right now. He’s getting our offense set up in good field position and making good decisions. I couldn’t be prouder of what he’s done.”

Given the circumstances, Austin’s efforts were also something to marvel at but not nearly enough. The Utes added two more touchdowns before the final gun.

“When we play smart, we give ourselves a chance to win,” Locksley said. “Last week we go from 16 penalties to four or five today. I thought we improved in that area, and I thought that our guys played with a little more poise.”