Lobo Josh Fussell cuts up the field after making a catch against Texas Tech on Saturday at University Stadium. The Lobos open up conference play at home Saturday versus Utah.

Utes bid MWC farewell in ABQ

Here’s to Mountain West Conference nostalgia.

Utah, the No. 14 ranked team in the country, makes its final appearance in University Stadium as MWC members.

Aside from the fact that it could be years before Utah football returns to Albuquerque, UNM looks to amend its dismal play during the first two weeks of the season.

Head coach Mike Locksley said the special teams unit will undergo several personnel changes.

“We tried to give some young guys and guys that haven’t played a lot of opportunities to create a role for themselves on this team,” he said. “They didn’t get the job done. I think especially what you’ll see now in our punt cover unit, as well as our kickoff cover unit … is our best 11 guys on the field.”

Against Oregon, UNM gave up two punt return touchdowns and muffed a punt snap to set up the Ducks’ first touchdown. Nothing improved in UNM’s home-opener against Texas Tech, and the Lobos allowed Eric Stephens to run wild for 173 return yards, including a 93-yard return.
The Red Raiders also blocked two UNM punts, setting up Tech with two short-field touchdowns.

One starter who will now see more action on special teams is third-year defensive back Anthony Hooks. He said he doesn’t mind the added playing time, though.

“I just have to be mentally tough this week,” Hooks said. “I am going to be running a lot, so I just got to be ready for it.”
And Utah has to be ready for UNM on special teams, too.

Utes’ head coach Kyle Whittingham said his team can’t afford to have miscues on special teams. Although the Utes are 2-0, they gave up a blocked punt to UNLV and another in their season opener against then-No.15 Pittsburgh.

“We had a blocked punt for the second week in a row, which overshadowed a stellar effort by the rest of the special teams,” Whittingham said.

All things considered, the Lobos want to dictate the pace against Utah. The only thing is, Locksley said, Utah resembles Texas Tech and Oregon in certain aspects.

“I think that Utah is a combination of what we saw between Oregon and Tech,” he said. “They have tremendous speed out on their perimeter, whether it’s receiver, defensive backs or skilled players.”

UNM is also concerned about Utah’s two-quarterback system.

Because of injuries, Jordan Wynn and Terrance Cain have split action this season. Combined, Wynn and Cain have thrown for five scores and 490 yards passing. Wynn is nursing a thumb injury and is day-to-day. Cain is expected to start Saturday.
“They have got two quarterbacks that have shown they have the ability to lead,” Locksley said.