Fiesta valet facilitates cyclists

While some balloon fiesta attendees may have been stuck in traffic, others were using another travel option.
Hundreds of people used bike trails to ride to the fiesta, event officials said.

Elaine Nelson, the balloon fiesta transportation manager, said BikeABQ offered a free valet service for all cyclists. Riders left their bikes in a secure spot while they attended the event, which ended Sunday. She said she was trying to emulate other bike valet services she had seen.

“I saw a picture of another bike valet and started looking for a space to use around the park,” she said. “They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery.”

Bikes were stored on a closed-off section of the bike path that runs behind the Anderson-Abruzzo Albuquerque International Balloon Museum, Nelson said. BikeABQ is looking for a new spot for next year because some bicyclists were unhappy that part of the bike path was closed, she said.

Cyclist Angela Gieri said she rode from her home near Tramway Boulevard.
“Riding in is much more convenient,” Gieri said.

BikeABQ president Craig Degenhardt said volunteers staffed the valet service, as well as the New Mexico Touring Society. He said that before the bike valet, riders were not allowed to bring their bikes in and were told not to lock them up along the fences.
Degenhardt said nearly 300 bikes were stored for each balloon fiesta event.

“We are here any time there is an event for the balloon fiesta,” Degenhardt said. “There are some crew members who get here at 2:30 (p.m.), and we let them lock up their bikes before we get here.”

Degenhardt said cyclists were also given free bike maps, event T-shirts, flat-tire repair kits and reflective vests.
“We used the tip money we received to purchase vests for riders who had to ride in the dark and could not be seen,” he said.

Dave Rankin said he drove to the El Pueblo Railrunner station and rode his bike from there. He said he plans to keep using it as long as it’s available.

“From the train station, it only takes me about 15 minutes to ride in,” he said. “As long as they keep doing this, I’ll be here.”