Students wary after auto burglaries

Eight cars burglarized in one week, UNMPD says

Eight cars were burglarized two weeks ago in South Lot, adding up nearly $2,000 of stolen property and damages, according to UNMPD.
On Oct. 10, three people returned to south lot to find their cars had been broken into. The report said two of the burglaries happened between 10:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m., and the other likely happened at the same time, but the owner had parked his vehicle there over the weekend.

All three vehicles had windows broken, according to the report.
The report said cash, iPods, a cell phone car charger and binoculars were stolen, totaling $1,130.

Two days later, three morepeople found their vehicles burglarized, according to police. The three vehicles had their driver’s side door locks punched through, the report said, and the two stolen car stereos are valued at a combined $750.

Police said they don’t have witnesses to the crimes and couldn’t find fingerprints in at least two of the six cases.
Student Leroy Duarte said he won’t park on South Lot anymore because of car break-ins.

“We used to park at South Lot because it’s closer to the house, but my friend got his car broken into and they stole his stereo system,” he said. “He was pretty upset about it, and he called APD and the campus police and did a report, but they’re not really doing anything about it.”

With security present at South Lot, Duarte said, he is surprised by the amount of auto burglaries.
“I see security guards walking around in South Lot, and I’m like, ‘How does this happen? Are they not doing their jobs?’ It’s ridiculous,” he said.

Student Loretta Gonzales said she too is concerned about parking her car at South Lot.
“I didn’t know that was happening. My dad always says, ‘Don’t leave your purse right by the seat.’ and I always say, ‘Oh whatever, it’s South Lot,” she said. “There’s security going around.’ From now on, I’m going to think twice.”