Porn show organizers: Even 'censored' too risky

What started as an annual film festival that showcased adult films has become a battle for self expression and free speech.
After canceling the event known as Pornotopia, organizers said they also decided to cancel a censored version of the event that was planned for Nov. 5.

Molly Adler and Matie Fricker, owners of the sexual resource center Self Serve, said they became concerned that the city would cite and punish those involved in “Pornotopia CENSORED,” a less explicit version of the original event, Fricker said.
“The performers didn’t feel safe performing,” Fricker said.

While looking for a location that was properly zoned for adult amusement, organizers and supporters planned to hold an event at the
Sunshine Theater downtown. The event would have included burlesque stars and skits about free speech, but not adult films, the organizers said.

On Self Serve’s blog, Self Serve(d), Adler and Fricker wrote that city officials made it clear zoning officials would attend the event and would most likely shut it down.

“Veiled threats have been made against the Sunshine Theater and against our performers,” they wrote.
Adler and Fricker have been in contact with the Mayor Berry’s office as well as zoning officials in an attempt to better understand the zoning laws, Adler said. She said they are not trying to fight with the City, but instead seek to work within the system to hold the event.
“We’re trying to see the big picture,” Adler said. “The laws are hard to follow.”

Joe Anderson, the promoter for the Sunshine Theater, said the owner of the Sunshine’s building received letters from the city’s zoning department implying that they would be cited for zoning violations. He said he was disappointed that it could not happen.
“I’m hoping they’ll be able to regroup,” Anderson said. “They were planning on having an exciting classic porn festival.”

The Sunshine has had events that included burlesque performances before, Anderson said. He said he thought the city seemed more concerned with shutting down the festival instead of other issues downtown.

“It seems like they would rather have shootings and stabbings,” Anderson said.
Division Manager of Code Enforcement Matthew Conrad said a letter was sent to the property owners where the Sunshine is located that outlined the zoning code.

According to the zoning codes, it is the property manager who is responsible for zoning violations and fines, Conrad said. He said the notification sent out was to inform the property owner that citations could be issued if violations occur. This is not the first time a notice like this was sent out, he said.

“We sent out one just last week,” Conrad said. “Someone was planning on having raves in a building zoned for office space.”
Conrad said he provided the organizers with a list of suitable spaces zoned for this type of event. While they are zoned appropriately for adult amusement, he said he did not know if they would meet fire codes.
“I can’t speak for the fire marshal,” he said.

Laura Schauer Ives, the managing staff attorney with ACLU New Mexico, said the laws regarding zoning are complicated and hard to understand. She said the codes are prohibiting conduct of the performers but not the public.
“According to the laws, a bikini could possibly not be allowed,” she said.

Adler said she is hopeful that they will be able to find an appropriate venue before the end of the year.
“We have a great film festival ready to go,” Adler said. “Our city is so diverse; it should be able to support this.”