Senate OKs unisex bathroom

A resolution supporting a universal bathroom at the SUB was the subject of intense debate during ASUNM’s Dec. 8 meeting, but in the end it passed 12-3.

Sen. Michael Hoodless, who co-wrote the resolution, said it is supposed to give transgender persons, or other people uncomfortable in male- or female-only bathrooms, a restroom to use.

“We’re only serving straight males and straight females,” he said. “We’re actually segregating at this point.”

Senators spoke of turning the third floor women’s bathroom into a universal bathroom, though this is not outlined in the resolution
Sen. Alonzo Castillo, who voted against the resolution, said he had problems with the resolution. The resolution described using restrooms as a “rudimentary human right.”

“I don’t see restrooms as an inalienable human right,” he said. “They didn’t have that right to use a bathroom when they didn’t have bathrooms.”

Sen. Greg Golden, another co-writer, said the SUB should accommodate everyone.

“Using the bathroom is absolutely an inalienable human right,” he said. “This is the Student Union Building, and it should be accommodating to all students.”

Castillo expressed concerns over how many people would benefit from such a bathroom.

“In the month of November, only five people signed in to use the LGBTQ (resource center),” Castillo said. “I don’t see any necessity to create a bathroom for people, who we created a department for, that isn’t being used.”

Sen. Melissa Trent said a universal bathroom would make the UNM transgender population feel much more welcome.

“I was having a conversation with a transgender friend of mine, and he was saying how difficult it was to be on campus,” she said “... I want you guys to think about what it would be like to be afraid every time you go into a bathroom. At the best (you get) only insults or looks, but it can be violence.”

Sen. Terence Brown said the issue isn’t pressing.
“I don’t understand that lifestyle, so it’s hard for me to see that you need a mixed restroom,” he said. “You got to make a choice whether you want to be a guy or a girl, and use that restroom. ... If you want privacy, you can always go into a stall.”
Other ASUNM items discussed at the meeting:
Resolutions passed supported a 10 percent cut in University energy usage, a resolution to keep the Student Union Board, and a resolution supporting the Agora Crisis Center.