Teachers: Budget cuts hurt education

New Mexico teachers flocked to the Roundhouse on Monday with a clear message: Cutting education funding won’t hurt teachers as much is it will hurt students.

The American Federation of Teachers rallied at the Capitol building in Santa Fe. More than 400 people attended.

Donna Swanson, a CNM developmental math and English teacher, said budget cuts to education, especially higher education, will diminish students’ quality of learning.

“In higher education all over the country, faculty have been cut to part-time teachers,” she said. “Tenured faculty are being replaced by part-time faculty who only get paid $20,000 a year.”

Swanson said she wants lawmakers to be wary of cutting developmental programs, and she said Gov. Susana Martinez has already suggested doing so to help balance New Mexico’s budget. About 8,500 students are taking developmental classes at CNM, Swanson said.

“I just ask that lawmakers educate themselves about what they’re talking about,” she said.

Holly Trujillo, a teacher at Armijo Elementary, said testing is getting out of hand in the classroom. She said she is required to test students up to three times per week, which takes away from instructional time.
“It’s not good for the kids,” she said.

Dave Bleicher, an English and film criticism teacher at Rio Grande High School, said large class sizes are becoming overwhelming for teachers.
“We’ve been cut two years running, and teachers have left the profession because of it,” he said. “Teachers have 45 students in a classroom made for 25. I’m tired of it.”

Trujillo said she has spent more than $1,000 on supplies for her classroom because APS can’t afford any extra resources.

“I work in a poor part of the city,” she said. “If anything is cut from education, my kids won’t get as much out of their education.”

Bleicher said he also spends money from his salary on his classroom.
“I spend my own money on supplies, but can barely keep up with the cost of living,” he said. “There is also a lack of new and up-to-date textbooks.”

Jonathan Saiz, another teacher from Amijo Elementary and representative from AFT, said further budget cuts to education will result in less support staff, including physical education, music and art teachers, a cut that will be detrimental to students.
“If students can’t express themselves in art or PE, their (bad) behavior in class increases,” he said.