Freshmen ‘eager’ for NMSU

The UNM women’s tennis team doesn’t want to relive its last trip to New Mexico State.

For the third time in school history, the Lobos dropped a 6-1 decision to the Aggies last year in Las Cruces.

“To say that we are eager for this matchup is an understatement,” head coach Roy Cañada said. “We’ve had this date circled on our calendars since last year’s loss.”

Senior Anya Villanueva scored UNM’s only point last year with a win against NMSU’s Sophia Marks at the No.1 position. Marks retired citing a strained abdomen muscle after dropping the first set 6-1.

“Losing to New Mexico State is not something we want to experience again,” Villanueva said. “The entire team knows how much us seniors want to beat NMSU and prove that last year is behind us.”

Cañada said that beating NMSU will be no easy task for his young team. The Lobos boast two freshmen, four sophomores and just two seniors on their inexperienced squad.

“We know that we have a young team,” he said. “But we are playing with a lot of heart right now. We are off to a 4-2 start, and especially after last season, that’s great to get some wins under our belts.”

UNM also has two secret weapons this year making their debuts in a Rio Grande Rivalry match-up: freshmen Michaela Bezdickova and Nikolina Grbac, who play No. 1 and No. 2 singles for the Lobos this season.

“We were fortunate to recruit really well in the offseason,” Cañada said. “We knew we wanted to bring in players who would make an immediate impact on the team.”

Bezdickova, a native of the Czech Republic, was a semifinalist as the ITA Regional Tournament in October, and Grbac, from Croatia, has dropped just one match so far this spring at the No. 2 singles spot.

“The freshmen bring in a ton of experience,” Villanueva said. “They are both used to winning, and they bring such a huge attitude adjustment to the overall morale of the team.”

UNM is also markedly improved in doubles play, having dropped just two doubles points in six matches this season.

“We are all just really gelling with our doubles partners,” senior Ashley Bonner said. “Last year we had to play with several different people, and we never really solidified who was going to play with who. So, it’s nice to have a set partner and being able to adjust to their game.”

The Lobos and Aggies matchup begins at 5 p.m. at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex.

Villanueva said she hopes students will show up and support UNM.
“It’s such an advantage to be able to play at home,” she said. “I’m hoping that a lot of people come out and watch us. We really do get momentum when there is a huge crowd cheering us on.”

*Women’s tennis vs. NMSU
Today, 5 p.m.
Linda Estes Tennis Complex
*

Popular