Bongo Ball to be a ballistic blast

Today, the battle will be fought in SUB Ballroom B.
Students in the SUB will participate in Bongo Ball Mania, a war game requiring participants to take cover behind large shields to avoid being shot by their fellow students.

“Bongo Ball is a combination of paintball, laser tag and playing around with Nerf guns, more or less,” said Ryan Wooley, the marketing director for Student Special Events.

Bongo Ball YouTube videos show a vicious war-simulation game where young men and women prepare for a military career by pretending to be deep in the middle of live-fire combat. Instead of competing for land, Bongo Ballers will fight for a flag.

Taking things to an extreme level, Bongo Ball will break out the heavy-weaponry.

“These guns don’t shoot paintballs. They’re not little pop-guns that you hold,” Wooley said. “They’re more bazooka-shaped. They are pressurized. They shoot Nerf footballs, which is wicked awesome.”

Like any good Army recruiter, Wooley and Student Special Events are pushing hard to get as many recruits as possible.

“What’s great is it’s free,” he said. “We’ve taken care of all the cost of everything.”

Unlike lengthy, real-life battles, Bongo Ball will feature quick-and-dirty close combat.

“The rounds are pretty short, like three minutes,” Wooley said. “We’re gonna be in SUB Ballroom B, so it’s a pretty tight space.”

And just like a good Marines commercial, Student Special Events is playing up the glamour and excitement of the sport.

“It’s just gonna be a ridiculous amount of fun, on a Tuesday, in the middle of the week,” Wooley said.