(un)Occupy crosses street to hold meeting

UNM Police Department blocked off Yale Park, the former camp site of the (un)Occupy Albuquerque movement, Wednesday afternoon and told protesters they could not hold their general assembly meeting there.

The protesters, who hold the meetings at 6 p.m. each day, instead met on the corner of Harvard Drive and Central Avenue. The protesters dispersed after the meeting ended.

On Tuesday night, UNMPD and the Albuquerque Police Department were called in to permanently kick the protesters off campus, and 22 people were arrested for defying orders.

University spokeswoman Karen Wentworth said the protesters were in violation of their expired permit and policy no. 2220 of the UNM Business and Procedures Manual, which states: “The University recognizes that the exercise of free expression must be balanced with the rights of others to learn, work and conduct business.

Speech activity that unduly interferes with the rights of others or the ability of the University to carry out its mission is not protected by the First Amendment and violates this policy.”

Protester Benjamin Hansen said he thinks the administration’s decision isn’t about the protesters’ expired permit, rather that it is an attack on the protesters.

“The park doesn’t close until 10 p.m., so I feel they’re targeting us,” he said. “I’m not sure if they don’t like our message or what they don’t like about us, but they’re definitely targeting our rights.”

Hansen said he doesn’t think the protesters have been disruptive.

“I’ve never occupied a faculty building or locked doors or tried to stop people from going to class, so, quite literally, I’m not disrupting anything,” he said. “Just talking isn’t very disruptive unless it’s the things we’re talking about they consider to be disruptive.”

Wentworth said UNMPD is prepared to keep protesters out of Yale Park but doesn’t anticipate large-scale arrests.

“We’re just going to advise them of the policy that their permit to assemble is not renewed and go from there,” UNMPD spokesman Sgt. Trace Peck said.

Protester Larry Kronen is a lawyer who said he is working with the American Civil Liberties Union to file an injunction against the University.

“I believe that we do not need a permit to exercise our First Amendment rights, even though University policy says we do,” he said.

Protester and Peace Studies professor Desi Brown said the University’s disregard for the protesters’ rights might not be in its best interest.
“There could be serious repercussions for the University if the community and faculty and students stand up against this most basic abuse of rights,” he said.

~Elizabeth Cleary contributed to this report