Protester meets with provost, ends hunger strike

Protester and UNM alumnus Sebastian Pais ended his weeklong hunger strike Tuesday night after a meeting with UNM Interim Provost Chaouki Abdallah at Yale Park.

“I just announced the hunger strike is for now over, due to the fact that the Provost came,” he said. “I have arranged a meeting with the president (Schmidly) tomorrow; there is not a set time for it.”

The (un)Occupy protesters received a temporary permit Monday to demonstrate at Yale Park from 5-10 p.m. on weekdays. The permit expires Friday.

“My position is, since they have granted that permit and have shown a willingness to meet us here and probably tomorrow at his office, I think we can take a break from it,” Pais said. “I hope come Monday it will be extended, because we will respect the rules of the campus, but if (the permit is not renewed) people will probably be willing to get arrested and I will be willing to go back on hunger strike.”

Pais said doctors cautioned him to begin eating again in small amounts. He said he might eat a small portion after Tuesday’s general assembly.

Abdallah visited Camp Coyote and met with Pais to discuss the protesters’ concerns. Abdallah said he didn’t visit the camp on behalf of administration, but for personal reasons.

“A friend of Sebastian (Alex Palermo) … asked me, and I volunteered to help if it would end his fast,” he said. “I’m not representing the administration, and I said that to them. I am just coming as myself, but I am taking information back.”

Abdallah said he supported the protesters’ right to free speech but understood the University’s side.

“I support freedom of expression, but I am concerned about the safety on campus,” he said. “I don’t think anyone is opposed to the idea that people should be able to assemble, but there are safety concerns.”

He said he hopes a satisfying solution for both parties is worked out by this weekend.

“The administration and protesters have people who are negotiating, and (I hope) it’s getting close to a good resolution,” he said.