MWC bus trip fuels charity work

For the third year in a row, Lobo fans have the chance to support their basketball team, give to a local charity and take an affordable vacation.

Tix for Kids, a nonprofit organization that helps disadvantaged children and their families, has set up a chartered trip through Paradise Tours for next week’s MWC tournament in Las Vegas, Nev. for $225 per person. The proceeds go to the nonprofit.

The bus leaves on March 6 and includes round trip fare and a three night stay at the Circus Circus Hotel from Mar. 7-10 in a double-occupancy room. The price does not include tickets to the game, which start at $15 per game for students. The price for taking the bus without the hotel stay is $150 per person.

Bobby Aragon, a volunteer for Tix for Kids, put the trip together. He said it’s a great opportunity for Lobo fans to watch their team.

This year Aragon said he plans on taking two buses and already has about 80 seats filled for the trip. He said this trip is a great opportunity for students to get to Las Vegas to cheer on UNM.

“I know it’s hard to be a student, and there is not a lot of extra money,” he said. “A price like this can give students a way to get down there and support their team.”

This is the third year that Aragon has set up the trip to Las Vegas. During the 2009-10 season, the Lobos were nationally ranked and he was able to take two buses and a van. He raised $6,000 for Tix for Kids. Last season, with the Lobos going 8-8 in conference play, the trip only broke even.

“The first year we took 125 fans and a couple people that just wanted to go out for a cheap vacation,” he said. “Last year we ended up taking only about 30 because the Lobos weren’t doing too well.”

John Aragon, founder and president of Tix for Kids, said this year he figured they have already raised $2,500 and expects the remaining seats on the buses to sell out.

“It (Tix for Kids) is a nonprofit organization that I started 10 years ago to help kids going through tough times,” he said. “We have a bus that’s full and a second bus that we’re trying to fill up. We are kind of hoping it will be around $3,000.”

He said the money helps families in a number of ways, such as paying for utility bills the families can’t afford and helping a family recover after its house burned down. Each year the nonprofit gives presents to needy families during Christmas and sets up a school supplies drive before the school year begins.

The organization also collects donated tickets to sporting events, zoos, concerts and amusement parks and distributes them to disadvantaged children who may not have the opportunity to go to these events and places otherwise.

Albert Sanchez, owner of Paradise Tours, said he does not see too many trips like this set up for charity and gave the nonprofit a 25 percent discount on the price for the chartered buses.

“This is a great way of supporting the community,” he said. “This is one of the few trips like this we have seen, but if they can go to support a successful team like the Lobos then it’s worth it.”