Staff member dies at UNM

UNM Accountant Clifford Roudabush died on campus Monday after suffering an apparent heart attack.

Roudabush has worked for the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department since 1997. His coworkers knew him as a kind, hardworking and humble man, said Luke Lester, professor and interim chair of the department.

“He was a lynch pin in running our department from an accounting point of view, and he was a great guy,” Lester said. “He was kind and always had a positive point of view and was very patient with staff and students. He knew everything there was to know about his position and about (highly technical) UNM policies.”

Editorial technician Chuck Reuben has worked with Roudabush since he joined the department in 2005. Reuben said the sudden death has been difficult for the department.

“He helped the chair out a lot,” he said. “But (beyond that), we had a special connection. He was just a really nice person and very helpful.”

Roudabush began work in a front desk support position and was promoted several times, before he landed the position he held at the time of his death, Computer Sciences Dean Gruia-Catalin Roman said in an email.

The family will hold a memorial service for Roudabush on Friday in the Alumni Chapel from 3 to 5 p.m.