Men's basketball seizes MWC victory

For the third time in four years, the men’s basketball team is the Mountain West regular season champion.

The Lobos beat Boise State 76-61 on senior day in front of a sold-out Pit.

Senior forward Drew Gordon played his final home game as a Lobo. He recorded his 15th double-double of the season with 30 points and 12 rebounds.

Gordon scored on 11-of-15 shooting and made his only 3-pointer of his career.

Down, 52-48 with 8:20 left in the game, the Lobos finished on a 28-9 run, scoring on 13 of their last 15 possessions.

Junior guard Tony Snell had another tough night on offense. His only bucket, a 3-pointer, came at the 4:54 mark in the second half in a 58-56 game.

Snell finished just 1-of-7 from the field for three points and seven assists.

Seniors A.J. Hardeman and Phillip McDonald tied former teammate Dairese Gary in wins at UNM. The two are now 98-36 in their Lobo careers.

Hardeman finished the game with four points and three rebounds. McDonald had two points.

Freshman guard Hugh Greenwood continued his offensive onslaught from Wednesday night as he added 15 points from 4-of-7 shooting. He also recorded five rebounds and three assists.

The Lobos (24-6, 10-4 MWC) finished the game shooting 54.2 percent from the field off of 26-of-48 shots.

The Broncos (13-16, 3-11 MWC) made 20-of-46 shots for 40.8 percent and had three players in double-figures. Derrick Marks scored 17 points, Ryan Watkins had 16 and Thomas Bropleh added 12.

After the game, the three seniors, Gordon, McDonald and Hardeman, were honored for their career as Lobos.

The Lobos will travel to Las Vegas, NV next week for the Mountain West Conference tournament.