baseball.jpg

Junior catcher Erik Suarez congratulates junior catcher Mitchell Garver and freshman outfielder Ryan Padilla after scoring runs to tie up the game against SDSU at Isotopes Park on March 18. The Lobos will play No. 19 TCU this weekend at home.

Men hope to smash Horned Frogs in MWC play

The baseball team has a chance to continue its undefeated start to MWC play this weekend when it goes up against a national opponent.
UNM takes on No. 19 Texas Christian University in a three-game home stand at Isotopes Park, with both teams tied atop the MWC, 3-0.

Sophomore first baseman DJ Peterson said the team plans on getting another three wins this weekend.

“We want to sweep them, that would be the ultimate outcome,” he said. “We want to beat them every time we play them. They are our biggest rival.”

The last time these two teams met was for the conference tournament title last May. UNM defeated TCU 4-2 to receive an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

The Lobos began conference play last weekend with three straight wins over San Diego State, including coming back from a six-run deficit in the final game.

It was their second straight sweep after beating then-No. 22 Gonzaga in all three games two weekends ago.

TCU will leave the MWC next season to join the Big 12 conference, and Peterson said the Lobos want what could be the teams’ final meeting to end with a victory for UNM.

“This is the last time we get to play them, so we want to send them off with a bang,” he said.

This past week Peterson was named MWC player of the week and junior Austin House was named pitcher of the week.

Peterson leads the MWC in eight batting categories, including the best batting average with .457, the most home runs with five and the most runs batted in with 21.

He was also named the regional player of the week by Baseball Insider.

“(Peterson) is now swinging the bat the way he knows how,” head coach Ray Birmingham said. “He tried to do too much early in the season. Now he’s a little more relaxed and a little more comfortable.”

After a starting off the season a disappointing 2-9, including a seven-game losing streak, the Lobos have won six of their last seven games and now sit at 8-10.

The Horned Frogs come into the game at 11-7 and were on a nine-game winning streak before losing to Texas State 8-4 on Tuesday.
TCU is led by Kyle Von Tungeln and Josh Elander, who are batting .369 and .354, respectively. The pitching staff has a 3.16 ERA and opposing teams are only hitting .232 against the team.

Birmingham said his team needs to stop TCU’s offensive powers if it is to win the game.

“We’re starting to roll now. I think we’re very capable of matching up with them,” he said. “The Frogs love to hit in this yard. They’ve got great hitters and they can’t wait to get out and hit in this yard, so we better pitch well.”

Baseball vs. TCU
March 23, 6 P.M.
Isotopes Park