‘Dream Team’ matched at last

hendrix@unm.edu

Sports fans love to fantasize about how great athletes and teams from different generations would measure up against one another.

We wonder whether Michael Jordan would be as dominant if he played in the NBA today. Whether the ‘85 Chicago Bears defense could stop Kurt Warner and the “Greatest Show on Turf.” How Pete Sampras would fare against Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer. And every four years since 1992, we compare Team USA with the ‘92 Dream Team.

With the Summer Olympics just days away, it seems fair to pose the question. More than once, the Dream Team has been described by sports writers as the greatest team ever assembled: a collection of basketball gods including Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird; 23 NBA championships among the 12 players; 11 Hall of Famers.

Only Christian Laettner did not make it into the Hall of Fame.

Three of the four coaches are enshrined in Springfield, Mass. In fact, the team itself is in the Hall of Fame — one of only eight teams to have that honor.

For 20 years, the Dream Team has been untouchable. Its journey in Barcelona forever changed basketball. The first Olympic basketball team ever assembled with professional athletes embarrassed the rest of the world, beating teams by an average of 44 points per game. The Dream Team was so dominant that it never trailed at any time in any game.

But this year’s squad, in a fantasy game, could give the Dream Team a run for its money.

A couple weeks ago, Team USA’s Kobe Bryant said his team would probably pull out a victory over the Dream Team.

Jordan and Charles Barkley scoffed at the idea — but it’s not so farfetched.

The core of this year’s team is as talented as it’s ever been. Bryant, LeBron James and Kevin Durant solidify the team. Bryant’s killer instinct, Durant’s shooting skills and James’ freakish combination of speed and strength make for a deadly trio. The Dream Team’s big three — Jordan, Johnson and Bird — would have their hands full.

A new wave of point-guard talent has hit the NBA in the past several years. Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Russell Westbrook are three of the most dynamic and athletic guards of the modern era. Team USA head coach Mike Krzyzewski said this team might be the quickest he’s ever seen.

The quickness of Team USA would be its biggest advantage. The defensive presence and length of Tyson Chandler and Anthony Davis would help neutralize some of the scoring. Finally, Carmelo Anthony, James Harden and Kevin Love are solid complimentary pieces who can score at will.

Essentially, the Dream Team versus Team USA would come down to size versus speed.

If both teams played each other 100 times, I’m convinced they would each win 50 games.

There’s no denying the impact the Dream Team had on the sport of basketball. The influx of foreign-born players to the NBA since ‘92 has skyrocketed. The talent has increased tenfold. Basketball became a global phenomenon because of the Dream Team.

There will never be another team like it, but there is a team who can beat it. Bryant is right: the 2012 Team USA could beat the Dream Team on the hardwood.

Too bad we’ll never find out. Too bad it’s just a fantasy.