_holbrook14f.jpg

Seasoned QB aids team in transition

tromeros@unm.edu

Senior quarterback B.R. Holbrook tackled various injuries, multiple head-coaching changes, quarterback competitions and even a bout of mononucleosis on the path to become the Lobos’ starting quarterback.

But Holbrook, a southern California native, didn’t think of himself as a Division I-caliber quarterback until his first start at Oregon his sophomore season, a nerve-wracking experience.
“It’s kind of a crazy experience,” Holbrook said. “Obviously, I’ve never played on that level before. There were a lot of emotions going through me.”

Head coach Bob Davie said Holbrook first stood out as a star player at last year’s season-finale game against Boise State.
“I have tremendous respect for him since the first time I saw him play at the Boise game,” Davie said. “He’s been through a lot, and he’s persevered, and there’s nothing I would be happier about than to see him have a tremendous year.”

Holbrook said he hopes the Lobos will make it to a bowl game this season for the first time since 2007, when UNM went to the New Mexico Bowl.

“Obviously, we want to go to a bowl game,” Holbrook said. “No one on this team has gone to a bowl game. It’s going to be a challenge, but I think we can win six games and go to one.”

The 6-foot 3-inch, 196-pound quarterback said he’s optimistic for the season due to the new coaching staff and the mentality it’s bringing to the team.

“The mentality that we’re bringing into the season — it’s a gutsy, hard-nosed mentality,” he said.

He said he channels the mentality that his favorite quarterback, Hall of Famer and two-time Super Bowl champion John Elway, displayed for 16 years in the NFL.

Holbrook said he became a fan of Elway when he watched Elway play the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XXXII.

“When the Broncos played the Packers in the Super Bowl, I saw John Elway do that cartwheel in the air that always stuck with me,” Holbrook said.

Holbrook may not have Elway’s experience, but he does have 12 career starts and has been in multiple offensive systems.

Davie said Holbrook’s experience with different offensives has helped ease the team’s transition to the new staff’s coaching style, and that the Lobos will benefit from it.

“I think it’s his experience; the fact that he’s been through that many offensive schemes and coaches. He has a pretty strong background in football,” Davie said. “Even though we’re a new staff putting in a new offense, he’s pretty comfortable.”

Holbrook said more than anything else, playing as a starter last year improved his game.

“Just all the playing experience I had last year — that can’t do anything but help me,” Holbrook said. “I think I learned so much from last year, and I definitely think I’m a better quarterback than last year.”