msoccer.jpg

UNM sophomore James Rogers shoots on goal, while Northern Illinois freshman Charlie Oliver watches. The Lobos went on to win the home game 3-0 and will play at Houston Baptist on Saturday.

Foe’s got ‘nothing to lose’

The UNM men’s soccer team will begin its final year of conference play as a member of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation this Saturday.

New Mexico (7-1-0) will match up against new conference member Houston Baptist (2-4-0) in Houston at 6 p.m. UNM is ranked No. 4 in the NSCAA Coaches poll and No. 3 in the College Soccer News poll.

Last season, the Lobos went 10-0 in conference play in the regular season. But head coach Jeremy Fishbein said the first away game since Sept. 2 will test New Mexico.

“It’s big; we want to get off conference play to a good start,” he said. “You can’t take anybody lightly. It’s a huge opportunity for Houston Baptist, so we’re going to see their best. We have to win the individual battles and play collectively as a team. It’s a great challenge for us.”

Senior goalie Victor Rodriguez said he believes the team has to be vigilant when playing the Huskies, despite their record.

“Any time you go against a team that doesn’t have the best record, it’s always an opportunity for them to turn their season around,” Rodriguez said. “It’s dangerous playing those teams because they have nothing to lose at the end of the day.”

Fishbein said he wants the team to focus more and he expects that to happen at Saturday’s match.

“We have to be better,” Fishbein said. “We have to play fully, no matter who our opponent or their style of play. We have to play our style and not adapt to their play. We just have to put our stamp on the map early.”

In last weekend’s Lobo Invitational, senior forward Devon Sandoval had three goals in two games and won Offensive MVP honors.

Rodriguez tossed shutouts in both games and clinched the Defensive MVP award.

Sandoval also won MPSF player of the week and entered the Top Drawer National Team of the Week for his performance the last two games. The scoring forward also averages 0.88 goals per game, which is No. 8 in the nation.

Sandoval said he gives credit to his teammates for putting him in a position to win the awards and recognition he has garnered this season.

“I feel good and confident. It just comes from everybody, though. It comes from everyone working hard,” he said, “I wouldn’t be able to get any of those goals if it weren’t for my teammates. They do all the hard work and I just put it in the net.”

Rodriguez has 0.66 goals against average, which is No. 25 in the nation. He said the shutouts in the previous two matches were important heading into MPSF play.

“Every game I go into the game wanting to get a shutout,” Rodriguez said. “Those games just give us that confidence going into conference play now.”

Fishbein said he considers the Lobos ready to take on the challenge of being a premiere team.

“We want to be focused and sharp for 90 minutes. That’s our approach,” Fishbein said. “Every game we want to get better in certain areas, get more cohesive as a unit, and be excited to play against someone else. I think we’re in a real good place right now.”