10481_092512_playreiview_pandp_cpf.jpg

Play does Jane Austen proud

Theater Review

culture@dailylobo.com

When Jane Austen first wrote “Pride and Prejudice” in 1813, it was a rip-roaringly modern tale.

Its fascinating, complex setting — the upper-class English society of the early 1800s — has largely disappeared in the two centuries since. Yet the novel itself has only grown in popularity, becoming a literary classic.

The Adobe Theater’s enjoyable production of “Pride and Prejudice” goes a long way toward explaining its enduring appeal, bringing to life the wit, romance and humor of Austen’s novel.

Director Leslee Richards does a splendid job creating the play’s setting. Elizabeth Bennet’s world is one of strictly observed manners, where even the slightest indiscretion can lead to disgrace, and disgrace can lead to ruin — not just for oneself, but for one’s entire family. The cast of “Pride and Prejudice,” under Richards’ direction, illustrates not only these rituals but the huge emotions and conflicts they thinly veil.

However, the play derives much of its comedy and pathos from each character’s apparent inner life, even though their society is so restrictive.

At the heart of “Pride and Prejudice” is the Bennet family, whose five daughters face destitution if they do not marry. Alan Hudson and Linda Sklov are hilarious as Mr. and Mrs. Bennet, who have very different approaches to parenting and finding suitable husbands for their daughters. This appears to be Mrs. Bennet’s singular goal in life, an all-consuming obsession that Sklov constantly employs to great comedic effect. Mr. Bennet, however, strives only for the future happiness of his daughters, employing more sense and caution. Hudson is terrific in the role, capturing Mr. Bennet’s gruff, blunt manner, but also illustrating how caring he is as a father. 

Of the five Bennet daughters, Rebecca Lillie Dawson as the eldest daughter Jane is convincing, especially in capturing her close relationship with Elizabeth, the second eldest daughter. Katie Farmin, Karla Iñiguez and Abygail Merlino portray the three youngest daughters — Mary, Kitty and Lydia — and the actresses make each sister distinct and entertaining.

But “Pride and Prejudice” is, above all else, the story of the second-eldest Bennet daughter, Elizabeth, here portrayed by Bridget Dunne. Dunne, in a role countless actresses have played, succeeds in both conveying Jane Austen’s character and making it her own. All of the qualities Austen describes in Elizabeth are apparent: her wit, her confidence, her charm, her brashness and her bad habit of jumping to conclusions. Dunne takes the audience with her as Elizabeth not only discovers love, but herself.

Micah Linford makes an excellent foil for Dunne as Mr. Darcy, the man who earns Elizabeth’s hatred before winning her love. Like the classic Shakespearean lovers Benedick and Beatrice, Darcy and Elizabeth trade barbed insults long before sweet nothings, and Dunne and Linford’s battles of wit have a fun edge to them. Even as the characters verbally spar, however, they’re enjoying their duel so much that their eventual attraction to each other comes as little surprise.

Conflict comes in the form of Matthew van Wettering’s Mr. Wickham and Cyndy Noll’s Catherine DeBourgh: two convincing villains who present quite credible threats to the future happiness of Elizabeth and the Bennets. But fear not; lessons are learned and love triumphs. Jane Austen’s story is by no means new, but you’re sure to enjoy how the Adobe Theater’s production of “Pride and Prejudice” tells it.

“Pride and Prejudice”
by Jane Austen
Adapted for the stage by Joseph Hanreddy and
J.R. Sullivan
Directed by Leslee Richards

Adobe Theater
9813 Fourth St. N.W.
Runs through Oct. 7
Fridays and Saturdays, 8 p.m.,
Sundays, 2 p.m.

$15 general admission,
$13 students and seniors

For reservations call 
(505) 898-9222 or visit
adobetheater.org