Scribendi gets award nod

A UNM student publication has been nominated for an award that is often considered the Pulitzer prize of student journalism.

The UNM honors program student magazine Scribendi was nominated for the National Pacemaker Award, a college-media award for excellence in collegiate magazines, for its 2012 edition.

Magazines were judged based on content, quality of writing and education, photography, arts and graphics and judging was based on the layout, design and overall concept or theme.

Scribendi was nominated for various works, such as the digital photograph Nature’s Hourglass, which received awards from the Western Regional Honors Council (WRHC), a professional organization of faculty, administration and students dedicated to promoting undergraduate honors education.

The magazine previously won the award for its 2006 edition. Scribendi was selected by Graywolf Press, a publishing company, as one of seven finalists in the four-year college literary magazine category.

Scribendi, whose name means “those which must be written,” began in 1987 as a small magazine called the UNM Honors Review, but now accepts submissions from students at more than 220 eligible honors colleges or programs within the WRHC.

Current Scribendi editor-in-chief Austin Evans said staff members create a new magazine every year and that the publication provides students with learning and work opportunities and a place to make friends. Although students apply for a position on the magazine staff and work as much as 10 hours per week, they also receive three credit hours per semester and learn graphic design, management and communications skills.

Evans said each submission is paired with precise design to maintain the integrity of the submission. He said that the nomination reflects the dedication and effort put into making the magazine, and that the award will be announced at the beginning of November at the National College Media Convention in Chicago.

“We are honored and humbled to have received recognition from such a prestigious institution,” he said. “Scribendi never leaves you.
We are like a family.”

Faculty adviser Amaris Ketcham said the magazine is well-rounded and that winning the award would show the versatility in what the University can produce. She said that if Scribendi is given this award, it will not only reflect well on the Honors College and the University but also recognize literature produced in Albuquerque.

“To be known for producing great literary magazines is to be known for defining trends in literature,” she said.

Honors student submission deadline for Scribendi is Oct. 15.

For more information, please visit scribendi.unm.edu.

Free copies of the 2012 edition of Scribendi are available in the honors forum on the ground floor of SHAC.

*The original version of this article incorrectly stated that Scribendi accepted submissions from 220 students from schools within the WRHC. The error was made in reporting.