vb_boise.jpg

Head volleyball coach Jeff Nelson celebrates UNM’s victory against Boise State on Thursday at The Pit. The Lobos also defeated Air Force 3-0 on Sunday at Johnson Center to improve to 17-4 on the season.

Lobos best Falcons, earn a rest

A majority of the Lobo volleyball team overcame a respiratory infection to down Air Force in three sets at Johnson Center on Saturday.

Head coach Jeff Nelson coached through the sickness, but junior libero Miquella Lovato was out of action, forcing junior Lena Skipper to take over as libero.

The Lobos (17-4, 4-2 MWC) won the sets 25-21, 25-14 and 25-21. Nelson said it was Skipper’s first time playing libero and that she did well, having a total of 16 digs, more than any player on the board.

“I think it was a really mental match for us because we had to make the adjustments,” Nelson said. “I’m not usually a guy who likes to make a lot of changes like that, so it’s been really interesting. Normally you try and keep your changes to a minimum, but we didn’t have a choice this time.”

Freshman outside hitter Alijah Gunsaulus led the team with a total of 10 kills. Junior middle blocker Lexi Ross finished second with eight kills, followed by redshirt sophomore Chantale Riddle, who had seven.

“I think we kinda of came out here like ‘Let’s do our job,’” Gunsaulus said. “‘Let’s get it done and take some time to recuperate, rest and come back.’”

The Lobos’ defensive net play was tough and consistent throughout the three-game series. At the start of the first game, Ross and redshirt freshman Hannah Johnson double blocked and shut down the Falcons’ outside hitter, blocking her three times in a row, including a single block from Johnson. The block gave the Lobos a three-point cushion to continue the game. Johnson led the Lobos with a total of 15 assists.

The next two sets were in the Lobos’ favor from the beginning, with a six-point lead advantage in the second game thanks to repetitive slammers onto Air Force’s court. Senior setter Jordan Russell was especially accurate with her sets, placing quick middle sets into Ross’ hand to strike down, and shooting back sets to Riddle on the right.

The third set dragged on at the end due to Air Force head coach Matt McShane questioning every call against his team, resulting in a yellow card for the coach.

Russell, who had 13 assists and six digs against the Falcons, said the team will get some much-needed rest during the 12 days off before their next game. She said her senior experience has been an enjoyable one.

“It’s weird to be the only one experiencing it this year, since I’m the only senior,” Russell said. “I’ve loved every minute of it. I wouldn’t have picked another place to go. I mean, I love seeing my family after games and them being in the stands all of the time, so I love it.”