Bond C will fund UNM building revamps

by Megan Underwood

Bond C passed, which means that UNM will receive $24.5 million in funding for building renovations for all UNM campuses.

Bond C, which received 61 percent of the vote, will provide $120 million to public universities and colleges throughout New Mexico for renovation and improvement of campus buildings. The measure will not increase taxes because the money comes from the issuing and sale of higher education and special schools capital improvements and acquisition bonds.

UNM main campus will receive $19 million, which will provide funding for renovations to Clark Hall and Castetter Hall.
UNM Los Alamos campus will receive $500,000, which will provide lab equipment and fund the renovation of science laboratories.

UNM Gallup campus will receive $1 million, which will fund sewer, water and utility and fire suppression system improvements.

UNM Taos campus will receive $3 million to fund renovations and improvements for campus signage, infrastructure, lighting, parking lots and drainage.

UNM Valencia Campus will receive $1 million to fund the construction of a parking lot and loop road, road replacement, upgrades for plumbing, heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems.

UNM student Nicole Nevarez said she often has class in Castetter Hall and that the renovations funded by Bond C are necessary.

“The buildings that we are in, in order to get our education, are not up to code at all,” she said. “The ability to have money for renovations without putting a burden on the taxpayers, who primarily pay for public education, is awesome.”