Events to showcase, promote international study

Students interested in studying or working abroad can attend events all this week to learn more about international programs and opportunities.

In honor of International Education Week, the UNM provost’s office and the UNM global-education office organized events scheduled today through Thursday. International Education Week was first celebrated in 2000, and is recognized in more than 100 countries.

The events at UNM aim to promote and build support for international educational exchange programs.

UNM professor Natasha Koalchevska, who teaches Russian, said international students make up about 3.5 percent of the UNM student population. She said most of these students come from China, India, South Korea and Mexico.

Kolchevska said marketing strategies encourage undergraduate students to attend the University and that graduate students usually come to the University to work with specific faculty members. She said UNM is opening a recruiting office in Beijing to recruit undergraduate students.

“This is great because one of the essential parts, I think, of an undergraduate education is having that global experience,” she said.

UNM student Jessica Masias-Smith said she is interested in studying abroad and that the events should be a good place to find resources to do so.

“Studying abroad has always been a dream, but I never actually knew how to make it happen. It seems like it would be really hard to do,” she said. “I think that experience would be a once in a lifetime event. Learning other cultures is really important, and it seems like this week is celebrating that.”

International Education Week events:

Today
Student Adventures in International Education
1 to 5 p.m.
SUB Luminaria Room

International students and UNM students who have returned from abroad will give 30 minute presentations about their study and travel experiences.

Tuesday
International Lunch and Excellence Awards
Noon to 2 p.m.
Scholes Hall Roberts Room

The provost’s International Excellence Awards will recognize members of the University community involved in international outreach and education. The deadline to RSVP for this event was last Friday.

Wednesday
Update on Health & Safety for Faculty-Led Programs
1 to 2 p.m.
Mitchell Hall room 105

The Global Education Office, Latin American & Iberian Institute, Student Health Center and Industrial Security Department will host an informational event for faculty members who are interested in taking students on international education programs.

Opportunities for International Careers
3:30 to 5 p.m.
Scholes Hall Roberts Room
UNM Diplomat in Residence Steven Maloney, Peace Corps recruiter Shawn Abeita and

consultant on development and disaster relief Ron Saunders will speak to students about international employment opportunities.

Thursday
International Academic Majors and Programs at UNM
3 to 5 p.m.
SUB Scholars Room

Representatives from the Global Education Office, the International Studies Program, Latin American Studies, Peace Studies Program and National Securities Studies will talk about international studies at UNM and careers abroad.

All events are free and open to the public.
If you can’t attend these events, information about studying abroad is available at studyabroad.unm.edu