Herrera indicted for murder

The wife of the man who was shot and killed at a UNM foreign exchange student party in July has been indicted on a murder charge.

According to the New Mexico Courts, a grand jury indicted Amy Herrera on Nov. 1. She is charged with murdering her husband, Marc Herrera, whose death was originally ruled a suicide.

A report from the Office of the Medical Examiner later concluded that Marc Herrera was “shot by an assailant with (a) handgun” and that “the manner of death is homicide.”

According to the police report, Marc Herrera returned to his home July 1 where he and his wife were hosting a part for UNM foreign exchange students. He was intoxicated and reportedly told students at the party to move into different rooms at gunpoint. Amy Herrera said she and her husband then went into the bathroom, where he forced her to shoot him as he held her hand on the gun, according to the report.

According to the arrest warrant, Marc Herrera’s injuries were inconsistent with the manner in which Amy Herrera reported the gun was fired.

On Oct. 11, Albuquerque police arrested and charged Amy Herrera for murder and tampering with evidence, according to the arrest warrant.

Her arraignment is set for Nov. 16. It is unclear if Amy Herrera had an attorney.