Tire_11/29

Show Me How to change a tire

If you own a car, then it’s a safe bet that at some point you’ll experience the predicament of a flat tire. Fortunately, this problem is relatively simple to solve.

The Daily Lobo met with Tony, a mechanic who works at the Jiffy Lube on Lomas Boulevard near Jefferson Street, to learn how to replace a flat tire with a spare. To do this, you’ll need a jack, a lug wrench and the spare tire. Most cars are equipped with these tools already.

Find a safe spot.
If your tire gives out while you’re driving, then you’ll probably have to change it on the side of the road. You should park as far on the shoulder of the road as you can. A flat space where you are easily visible to oncoming drivers is ideal.

Elevate the car.
*First loosen the tire’s lug nuts using the lug wrench. Before you can take the flat tire off, you’ll need to elevate it. This can be done with the jack. You should consult your car’s manual to find out where to put the jack. Once the jack is secure, use it to lift the flat tire about six inches off the ground.

Remove the lug nuts.
Use the lug wrench to remove the screws that secure the tire into place, called lug nuts, from the tire. This may require you to remove the hub cap as well. Once all the lug nuts are removed, make sure to keep them all in one place so you don’t lose any of them.

Remove the flat tire.
Pull the tire off the wheel base directly toward you. Place the flat tire in your car; don’t leave it on the side of the road.

Place the spare on the wheel base.
Lift the spare tire and line up the holes on the tire with the lug-nut posts. This might be in a star pattern or a crisscross pattern, depending on how many lug nuts your tire uses. Once the spare is on the wheel base, replace the lug nuts. Don’t tighten them all the way just yet. Make sure they’re tight, but just enough to hold the tire on the car.

Lower the car and tighten the lug nuts.
Use the jack to lower the car back to the ground. Once the car is no longer elevated, remove the jack and place it back in your trunk. Then, use the wrench to get the lug nuts as tight as possible.

*The article was originally missing this step.