2/22_softball

Senior outfielder Sheryl Guillermo scoops up a ball during this past week’s Lobo Classic. UNM has won five of six games to improve to 6-8 on the season.

UNM softball looking to keep momentum

@cnaranjo7

In a span of seven games in four days, the Lobo softball team may have salvaged the season.

After a 0-7 start, New Mexico strung together a 5-1 record during the UNM Lobo Classic versus Hampton, Bradley and IPFW and twice versus Central Michigan University last weekend.

Then the Lobos defeated New Mexico State 10-9 in Las Cruces on Tuesday after trailing the Aggies 8-5 heading into the sixth inning.

Head coach Erica Beach said Tuesday’s comeback game boosted the morale of the team.

“It was a mentally and physically draining game, but luckily we came out with the win,” she said. “Our team can definitely use that as fuel from now on because our confidence is very high.”

UNM (6-8) is now in Corpus Christi, Texas to face four teams in three days at the Best Western Marina Grand Islanders Classic. The Lobos will begin the tournament against Southern (0-11) today at 8 a.m. On Saturday, New Mexico will face Auburn (10-2) at 12 p.m. and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (3-8) at 2 p.m. The squad will finish up the tourney on Sunday against Kansas (7-3) at 8 a.m.

Beach said the Lobos are looking forward to the matchups with the Tigers and Jayhawks.

“We are as evenly matched with these teams as we could get,” she said. “They are good teams and we respect them, but they certainly didn’t play Oklahoma and Arizona State in the beginning part of their schedule like we did.”

Beach said a large part of the Lobos’ success lately is due to the squad’s recognizing its new style of play. In the first seven games, New Mexico batted .169 and had a 6.43 earned run average.

But in the latest seven games, UNM hit .308 and had a 3.00 ERA.

Beach said the Lobos have bought into the small-ball style of play and have executed in crucial moments of games. Small ball is an offensive strategy that emphasizes placing runners on base and then advancing them into scoring position for a run in a deliberate, methodical way.

“The team has figured out its identity; before the season, that was our biggest challenge,” she said. “Leaving the ballpark last night, I thought about how this team has figured out how they are going to win games.”