4/8_softball

Sophomore pitcher Carrie Sheehan delivers a pitch against Boise State on Sunday at Lobo Field. UNM lost 13-0 but won the series 2-1 for its first two Mountain West Conference wins of the year.

Mercy rule ends 13-0 blowout in the fifth

Despite Boise’s 24 total runs to UNM’s 13, Lobos win series 2-1

@cnaranjo7

For the New Mexico softball team, anything that could go wrong did go wrong on Sunday afternoon.

Boise State clobbered UNM 13-0 at Lobo Field in a five-inning mercy rule game.

The Broncos accumulated all of their runs from only 14 hits.

Meanwhile, the Lobos recorded a mere three hits.

UNM freshman pitcher Lauren Soles (8-11) struggled to gain momentum through 2 and 1/3 innings of work, surrendering five hits, three walks, and seven earned runs.

The left-hander had a difficult time delivering a legal pitch. The umpires judged four of her pitches illegal, which advances any base runners and eliminates any call of the pitch.

Head coach Erica Beach said the umpires’ rulings deeply impacted the result of the game.

“It completely changed the game,” she said. “When your pitcher is deemed legal for two days and then illegal the next, it changes the way she throws. I have no doubt it changed the outcome of the game. I’m disappointed about it.”

Soles pitched the previous two games against Boise State, totaling 10 innings and a 2.50 earned runs average. She leads the team in three major pitching categories: innings pitched (106), strikeouts (93), and earned run average (2.70).

Boise State’s junior pitcher Rebecca Patton dominated, tossing five innings, and allowing zero runs with four strikeouts. Patton did not allow the Lobos to earn a base hit until the third inning.
UNM senior infielder Kaity Ingram and freshman outfielder Mariah Rimmer combined to go 0-6 at the plate.

“It was back and forth all weekend long, so I knew it would be another tough game,” Beach said. “They are not a team that backs down.”

Despite the loss, the Lobos (18-24, 2-4 MWC) still won the series against the Broncos 2-1. New Mexico earned a 7-6 victory on Friday and 6-5 win on Saturday. UNM is 9-5 at home this season.

Beach said Sunday’s drubbing does not diminish their first two wins of Mountain West play.

“I thought we played a great series overall,” she said. “I’m happy with how hard we played. I’m also happy to leave here with a 2-1 record.”