4/25_film

Bystanders gaze up at the art installation on the wall of George Pearl Hall on Monday night. The new UNM Film Association has used the outside space as a projection screen every night this week to showcase student videos and photographs from the Interdisciplinary Film and Digital Media Program, the cinematic arts department and art studio classes. The projections run every night from 8:40 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. until Tuesday.

New student film association reels in prospective actors, producers and more

Film students reeling in the face of an uncertain economy have a new resource to help hone their talent and tap into the local industry.

Students in the UNM cinematic arts program formed the UNM Film Association earlier this semester, the first club of its kind at the University. Its goal is to inform students about basic film industry mechanics, such as acting, modeling, directing, producing, editing, music, photography, and writing. The association would also help them find jobs in the industry.

“Most film groups tend to focus on the film appreciation and critique side only, but we recognize that we are in ‘show business,’ so we want to broaden our

focus to getting students work experience in this field in hopes they graduate with a career,” said Terrence Au, co-founder of the association.

Megan Pham, the other co-founder, said the association is different in that it is a business- and career-driven association as well as a film criticism association. She said they hope to connect with studio executives to offer internships, meet interested students and acquire apprenticeships.

“We recognize the importance of film criticism and theory, but film at a basic level is a business of connections, and we are focused more on what happens before a film is completed,” Pham said.

Au said the association hopes to work with the local film industry to create projects for hiring resident students, in light of the new state tax incentives that give studios tax breaks when they hire New Mexico citizens. These incentives are part of the “Breaking Bad” bill signed into law by Gov. Susana Martinez which aims to attract more film and TV productions to the state.

He said the association hopes to continue the growth of the New Mexico film industry by providing opportunities for students to work in the industry. The association will achieve this by providing the real world experience students need to develop skills desired by employers in the industry, he said.
“The film association is working with the city and state film offices, and will be the direct link between movie studios shooting in-state interested in recruiting students,” Au said.

“There has never been a link this strong until now.”

Pham said filmmaking is a process that involves many talents, so the association hopes to bring together students of all majors to network, giving the members more opportunities to find jobs and projects.

Pham also said the association plans to invite industry leaders to speak about how to establish contacts, and to give students an understanding of what it takes to make a career out of their major.

“These guest speakers will be people of different film roles who will talk from a more raw, personal experience,” Pham said.

Both co-founders said the association also has other goals, such as planning a semesterly UNM film festival in the SUB theater to showcase student-made productions. Attendees would have a chance to talk to the filmmakers to ask questions and exchange ideas. The association also plans to showcase student films during lunch hours for students to experience the films throughout the year.

To become involved:
email unmfilm@gmail.com.

No fees or requirements to join.

UNM students, CNM students, Southwest University of Visual Arts students and APS students can join.

“Like” Facebook.com/UNMFilm to receive updates about speakers, jobs, meetings, and the UNM Film Association.