Architecture fashion show encourages students to dress as they please

Using recycled materials, UNM’s School of Architecture and Planning plans to prove that fashion exists no matter what you’re wearing.

Architecture students enrolled in a 400-level studio course will host “Re-Fashion: The Art of Trash,” a fashion show that will showcase unique creations by the students, on Monday night.

Nicole Mwei, an architecture student who is one of the organizers of the event, said students have been working on the garments all semester. She said all the clothes are made of trash and other recyclable materials.

Mwei said the event aims to encourage students to not be afraid to wear what they want, because she said fashion is a choice.

“It’s really about promoting the idea of design in fashion … (and) making people aware of personal identity through their clothing choices,” Mwei said.

Mwei said the event is also a way for the University to celebrate diversity on campus.

“We at the School of Architecture and Planning would love to use this opportunity to engage other colleges, departments, and disciplines within the University in an effort to bring students together in a way that celebrates culture, creativity, and community,” she said.

According to a press release from the architecture department, students used trash and recycled materials to present a topic they are passionate about. Topics including gender and identity, empowerment, exposure and surrealism will be presented by designers through showcasing clothes at 13 mini fashion shows at the architecture building.

Mwei said this project will be beneficial for the participating students who are in their final semester in the undergraduate architecture program. She said that by working on this project, students are applying the skills, such as understanding the principles of design and using technical, conceptual, and creative venues, that they would need to succeed after college.

Shannon Ricketts, one of the student designers who will present in the fashion show, said the event will raise awareness on sustainability at the University.

“It was a whole new way to bring sustainability to light, which is not always a direct focus of our architectural work,” she said. “It presented a bunch of challenges for connection, craftsmanship and, of course, materiality.”

Mwei said she encourages students to attend the event.

“It’s a really great way for other colleges and students to know what’s going on,” she said. ”And it’s a great opportunity to see what is happening on the campus community.”

Re-Fashion: The Art of Trash
Monday, 7:30 p.m.
The first floor of
george pearl Hall
Free