Ambition shows in schedule

assistantsports@dailylobo.com@JROppenheim

If this season’s nonconference schedule is any indication, coach Craig Neal’s Lobos won’t shy away from tough competition. 

New Mexico released that portion of its men’s basketball 2013-14 slate Wednesday afternoon. Following two exhibition contests in early November, the Lobos kick off their campaign with a Nov. 9 home contest against Alabama A&M.

New Mexico will play at least four non-Mountain West teams that reached last spring’s NCAA tournament over the course of 17 days. The team will also continue its long-standing in-state rivalry with New Mexico State with a Dec. 4 date in Las Cruces and a Dec. 17 battle at The Pit.

That stretch also includes a Dec. 7 home game against Cincinnati, a trip to Kansas to battle the Jayhawks a week later and a neutral-site contest against Marquette on Dec. 21 in Las Vegas, Nev., as part of the MGM Grand Showcase.

The Lobos are no strangers to big games in Las Vegas. They won the last two Mountain West basketball championships at the Thomas & Mack Center, UNLV’s home stadium, also in Las Vegas.

“That will really give us a chance to play in an arena that is a true neutral site, and gives our guys a chance to play in a tournament-type atmosphere,” Neal said in a release, referring to the MGM Grand Showcase.

Last season those four teams had a combined 103-38 record, or a .730 winning percentage, and though No. 13 seed New Mexico State and No. 10 Cincinnati saw second-round exits in the NCAA tournament, Marquette reached the Elite Eight as a No. 3 seed. Kansas, holding a top seed, reached the Sweet 16.

Center Alex Kirk, who recently returned from the World University Games in Kazan, Russia as a member of the U.S. team, said he was excited for the Cincinnati contest because he played alongside Bearcat Sean Kilpatrick while in Russia.

“We had some talks over there about that,” Kirk said. “I don’t know about that. So far, all I got is he’s going to get his 30 and his team will take care of the rest. I told him ‘Welcome to The Pit’ a little bit. I don’t think he’ll understand it until he gets on the floor.”

UNM, also a No. 3 seed at NCAAs, did not survive the second round after losing to Harvard.

Taking Mountain West rivals San Diego State, UNLV, Colorado State and Boise State into account, UNM must deal with at least eight Big Dance participants during the season.

In its 29-win season in 2012-13, UNM boasted one of the nation’s best RPIs and strength of schedule. New Mexico’s schedule for the upcoming campaign could make that the case once again.

The Kansas game stands out as the biggest in the nonconference slate. The Jayhawks are one of the most recognized basketball programs in the nation, capturing NCAA championships in 1952, 1988 and 2008, and reaching the Final Four 14 times. The Big 12 member had a 31-6 record in 2012-13.

Marquette, meanwhile, went 26-9 before bowing out in the NCAAs to eventual national runner-up Michigan. The Golden Eagles, a Big East representative, won a national championship in 1977 and has three Final Four appearances.

“Games like that (against Marquette) and the Kansas game are to help us get better in the NCAA tournament,” Neal said. “Those opponents and arenas prepare us for that.”

UNM also has scheduled games against Charleston Southern, San Diego and Division I newcomer Grand Canyon. Charleston Southern participated in last season’s National Invitation Tournament and Grand Canyon made the NCAA Division II tournament.

The Lobos will participate in the Charleston Classic Nov. 21-24 in Charleston, S.C. Alabama-Birmingham will be New Mexico’s first-round opponent. Nebraska, Massachusetts, Clemson, Davidson, Georgia and Temple are in the tournament as well.

“It’s a good schedule, maybe the toughest one ever here,” said Neal, a former assistant coach entering his first year as the Lobos’ head man. “We tried to bring in opponents that if they aren’t in a major conference will do well in their leagues, because that helped us in the past.”

The Mountain West portion of UNM’s schedule is expected to be released in August. The conference tournament is March 12-15.
“The lights are on now,” Kirk said. “We have to prove we’re one of the better teams in the country, which I know we are. We have good kids and the staff to get it done. I’m excited for it. Bring them all on.”

New hardwood at The Pit

UNM athletic director Paul Krebs wrote on Twitter Friday morning that The Pit will replace its floor. The design will be released soon, he tweeted.

Men’s basketball sports information director Frank Mercogliano said removal of the old hardwood began Monday and the new floor’s installation should be complete by mid-September. He told the Daily Lobo the new floor will cost approximately $130,000.

Krebs also tweeted that pieces of the old floor will be available for purchase and those details will be announced soon. Pieces containing the word “Pit” will be auctioned at the Lobo Howl, the team’s preseason practice exhibition for fans, Krebs wrote.

New Mexico
men’s basketball
nonconference schedule
Date               Opponent
Nov. 2           vs. Eastern New Mexico (exhibition)
Nov. 6            vs. Jamestown (exhibition)
Nov. 9            vs. Alabama A&M
Nov. 17          vs. Charleston Southern
Nov. 21-24    Charleston Classic, Charleston, S.C.
Nov. 30          vs. San Diego
Dec. 4            at New Mexico State
Dec. 7            vs. Cincinnati
Dec. 14          at Kansas
Dec. 17          vs. New Mexico State
Dec. 21          vs. Marquette (MGM Grand Showcase,Las Vegas,Nev.)
Dec. 23          vs. Grand Canyon